ProTIG 200

I bought a HTP 221 as well but not the dual voltage. Comes with the great foot pedal and starting amps as low as 5 amps. Had a everlast multifunction tig, plasma stick as my first tig. It went up in smoke but I got 8 years out of it so no complaints. Love the http but it is not cheap.
Well when you compare features, the HTP costs about 1/2 the price of a typical comparable blue or red machine. I get what you are saying though. I weld a lot of aluminum and the HTP has a lot of great AC features.
In fact I like the machine so much I bought a MiG 2400 last year and it’s almost as good as the fancy blue machine I used every day for 5 years for again about 1/2 the money. Their customer service is great as well if you have any questions

Well when you compare features, the HTP costs about 1/2 the price of a typical comparable blue or red machine. I get what you are saying though. I weld a lot of aluminum and the HTP has a lot of great AC features.
In fact I like the machine so much I bought a MiG 2400 last year and it’s almost as good as the fancy blue machine I used every day for 5 years for again about 1/2 the money. Their customer service is great as well if you have any questions
I don't disagree with you in the least. I think the HTP machines are the better of the bunch although they are all pretty equal across the board if you compare apples to apples. If you bought a first generation off shore machine you had junk but they have learned that they have to build a better machine. I have not had the need to buy a machine in 20 years so I haven't had to make the choice.....

IF I were in need of a new machine I would be watching Jody's You Tube reviews and probably would buy an off shore built machine. They are packed with features and priced where more and more people can afford them. The only thing that scares me is now people that CANT weld think they can because they can afford a machine... If they take the time to learn they will be good welders but so many think they are a welder just because they can make sparks. Never test a weld or cut one apart for the sake of safety.

I don't disagree with you in the least. I think the HTP machines are the better of the bunch although they are all pretty equal across the board if you compare apples to apples. If you bought a first generation off shore machine you had junk but they have learned that they have to build a better machine. I have not had the need to buy a machine in 20 years so I haven't had to make the choice.....

IF I were in need of a new machine I would be watching Jody's You Tube reviews and probably would buy an off shore built machine. They are packed with features and priced where more and more people can afford them. The only thing that scares me is now people that CANT weld think they can because they can afford a machine... If they take the time to learn they will be good welders but so many think they are a welder just because they can make sparks. Never test a weld or cut one apart for the sake of safety.

I agree completely and I feel the same way. I needed something besides the TIG 200 as it is not water cooled and I was really using the Eastwood machine pretty hard. I bought an HTP water cooler and was going to try and mate it with the Eastwood. It wasn’t as easy as I had thought and I already had the cooler so just decided to get the machine to match and i’m really glad I did. Since it’s an inverter it only pulls like 35 amps which is nice and I can sharpen the electrode on aluminum which helps. It has frequency settings as well as being able to adjust the balance. Not just the balance but you can independently adjust both sides of the A/C balance. Only the blue machines offer this but at a much higher price point. I like to use the pulse on stainless and on thin materials.

I’m a fan of Jody too and 6061.com and frequent the welding forums as well.
But I hear you, I went to school for welding in 1986 so have been doing it a while and have seen other people like you describe, trying to weld through grease and paint, or weld something that look nice but have hardly any penetration. It is a problem, exacerbated by cheap welders readily available to all.
People shouldn't really be doing this though, not sure where to point the finger lol

But I hear you, I went to school for welding in 1986 so have been doing it a while and have seen other people like you describe, trying to weld through grease and paint, or weld something that look nice but have hardly any penetration. It is a problem, exacerbated by cheap welders readily available to all.
People shouldn't really be doing this though, not sure where to point the finger lol

The evidence is everywhere when you look...

All the bite that big ole goober had...

Last edited:
I just spotted some porosity holes in some welds on the mini I am currently building. Going to have to fix that. I don’t think it’s factory.
I know a guy who welded some patch panels onto a pickup bed and they cracked and broke off shortly after. He asked my what could cause that. I asked if he welded it inside, he said no. I asked if he was using flux core wire or shielding gas, he said gas. He was welding outside in windy conditions and all the shielding gas was blown away by the wind. So the welds were just full of porosity and very little if any real penetration. Lesson learned, he is a smart kid just under informed.
Smart enough to know that patch panels was prob the limit of his skill.
He would never weld on a trailer or frame

Last edited: