Recognize this?

Can anybody identify this little guy? Just got it in pieces and this is what i imagine it should look like. it has the seat and finders too. just not in the photos

That's the reason for the correction, that frame design was widely used with some variation. Not unlike other minibikes that were copied.:thumbsup:
One definite difference between the two besides the huge axle flange on the MTD is that the handlebars make a complete loop at the mounting area and are 1 pc. and the K&S bars are 2 pc.

Mtd/Columbia....check this pic.
looks very close.
This is the bike! awesome, that was really fast. you guys know your stuff :)

about to tare it down again and do an 80% restoration. do you know if the motor is original? i'm almost 100% sure its briggs but i'm also sure it has a tecumsa carb and a craftsman air-filter..

either way, this thing is super fast for a little 4 hp. i love the torque converter on this thing

mybiz

The correct motors were HS40 and who put a briggs sticker on a tecumseh? The original 4hp most were silver in color on these. Here is your info. Omit the MTD You have the Columbia model #532-2. Here is more from minidoodle.com
MTD-COLUMBIA INFO
I have 2 of them but both are the hardtails.:hammer:

I have owned about 10 different models of these MTD/Columbia made bikes, and still have a had tail the pictured one and a western. This is why you cannot fully exclude the MTD part ....notice how the jackshaft has no I.D. plate like some models. The red one was purchased from the little old man who bought it new. Like others have said..so many models are close. Good luck with the build and keep the pictures of progress coming.

Last edited:

delray

also from the looks of your gas tank you have a later 70's bike. the first models, the tank was more flatter and the bike came with a diaphram carb. later years use a angle intake and bowl carb.
just in case you guys want to take apart your shocks. they come apart like this:thumbsup:

for the guys that have the older style tank that is flat and more square. here is a very hard part to find on ebay
vintage minibike or gokart gas gauge cap - eBay (item 190443929321 end time Sep-17-10 18:11:55 PDT)

mybiz

I'll go reread some old posts and see who said not mtd. And if you didn't read what i posted a few days back. I did say I don't think anyone can truly id mini bikes unless they were the one who drew the blueprint or designed it. Just like Cat bikes the same frame was used on many different models.. Unless all the original stickers/decals are still on a bike Id'ing can get crazy..:eek:ut:
And i plum forgot about The Western flyer Trail Flite SS400.

I'll go reread some old posts and see who said not mtd. And if you didn't read what i posted a few days back. I did say I don't think anyone can truly id mini bikes unless they were the one who drew the blueprint or designed it. Just like Cat bikes the same frame was used on many different models.. Unless all the original stickers/decals are still on a bike Id'ing can get crazy..:eek:ut:
And i plum forgot about The Western flyer Trail Flite SS400.

If ya want credit for the ID it's yours ... Good research biz :thumbsup:

delray

mybiz, i have not yet seen a columbia bike like that brochure. must be the late 70's maybe early 80's. red tanks,chrome torque converter cover, white painted frame or black on the bigger bikes models with rear swing arm and the engines are black with bowl carbs. i have seen chrome covers on the western bikes,but nothing like the brochure bikes:shrug: i would have to say they would be little rare to find.
when you say you have two hard tails. are they blue and or green? with black and white seats. i have a green bike with factory chrome and black strips on the fender,but i can't find any info on that bike:shrug: special option bike? maybe made it one year only? don't know?

mybiz

:no:Not going to start an arguing match on anything. Now with that out of the way.:thumbsup: delray I have one blue bike and one green bike and there nothing to brag about I got the blue bike just for the good chrome on the bars. The rest of the blue one is going to the crusher (POS)! They both came with no seats so :shrug: The green one has a chrome rear fender and no front fender.. Now the tc cover did look like it was chrome until someone sprayed it black. And the minidoodle mtd/Columbia brochure is just easy to grab and paste. I think jim knows a lot about the 6" wheeled mtd/Columbia/trail flite.... I can't remember for sure but wasn't the hardtails also SS300:confused:

delray

might of told you this already mybiz? my first minbike was a 1971 columbia. my dad purchase it new thru firestone tires and also got the tire racks too, they hook on to your chrome bumper so you can haul the bike around.
still got the bike:thumbsup:

mybiz

Wish i had all my old toys, Yep the western ss300 was totally different about the only part on them that was the same as all the bikes were talking about is the Rims.:doah: