Rupp torque converter rebuild?

cfh

On a rupp torque converter, it doesn’t seem to change size much. That is, the drive and the driven pulley don’t seem to change size very much, as engine RPM changes. How do you rebuild these? Or do you just buy a new comet torque converter? What is the general thinking of Rupp torque converters rebuild vs. replace?
Thanks!

Most likely the sheaves are worn. The surfaces should be flat from bottom to top, not dished where the belt rides.
A 20 series China Comet copy works well but you need both a drive and driven then get a belt that fits. You will have to measure the center to center distance (crank and jackshaft) then look on a chart for the belt.
You will also need to make sure both clutches are lined up so the belt is straight between them.
"IF" you find good Rupp clutches in great shape they will cost you a lot more than the China copies. If you have the cash, get Rupp clutches or genuine Comet clutches of course.
When using Rupp clutches, you need the proper width and length belt for them to work good.
JMO Danford1

PS You can use a Comet 20 series style Drive clutch with a Rupp driven but you will have to add a spacer between the sheaves of the driven to accept a 3/4" wide belt. Rupp belts are 5/8" wide.

Last edited:
20 series has a V shaped belt. 30 series has a belt with one flat side and one vertical side. 40 series is much bigger, more heavy duty, handles more hp V belt style. It also costs a lot more money.
The 20 and 30 series driven clutches are different as well. You Can't mix and match 20 series to 30 series. For use on a Rupp, due to the jack shaft and where the engine is bolted in, you need a 30 series with a 6" driven clutch with a 5/8" bore.
20 series and 30 series both cost about the same.
Avoid cheap belts. The China belts work but wear out fast. Get a genuine Comet belt. There is another Good brand , Bando. I haven't used any but read they are good premium belts.
The video below should answer some questions.
Danford1

PS. I was wrong in my other post. Rupp's need 30 series clutches, not 20 series.

[video=youtube;GvfkpWxxHuA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvfkpWxxHuA[/video]

Last edited:
Here are some cheap China clutches I bought and used on a couple Rupp's with good success.
If you can afford better clutches, go with real Comet brand. If you can't afford the real deals, these work fine
(in my opinion, others will vary). You will have to measure your crank center to jack shaft center dimension and look at a chart for the correct 30 series belt.

Note. The picture in the auction is of a 20 series but the description is for the proper 30 series clutches.
(yes a bit confusing).
Danford1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Series-...rentrq:cc81de3c1620a8878df29272fff7b833|iid:1

Last edited: