Ruttman axle fun

Forgive me if this stuff's in the archive, but I've never messed w/ minis before and I just don't know what to search for..

I need new axle bolts, bearings and spacers....because neither axle bolt reach all the way thru the nut, the bearings/bushings are wasted (along w/ the rear bolt), and my spacers are comprised of nuts, washers & electrical conduit.
So I was wondering if there's supposed to be a spacer inside the hub between the bearings, or if the axles are run "loose" with nyloc nuts. I'll figure out the spacer length if nobody has any specs handy tho..

Tyler

OldMan

Unless the bearings have an outer flange or snap ring, there is probably an inner tube to keep them in place. You can build one pretty easily if needed... somehting like this (the o-rings keep the tube centered so you can slide the axle thru):

On the outside, you also need to keep the bearing from walking out of the wheel so a spacer on the axle between the bearing and fork is needed, these can be made from tubing or...

Axles, bearings, nuts, etc can be found at several vendors, here's a link for one I've had good service from: Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts

Last edited:
I know living in michigan, you've got to have a bolt shop? We do here in Akron, It's a small hole in the wall shop, but they have , or could get any bolt you want, then there's the bearing shop, now this is no hole in the wall shop. I really like going there and giving them something hard to locate, gives me more time to check out all the neat stuff they have, It's called Akron Bearing Company, on Arlington Rd, they have a website, for online business, They sell lengths of solid, keyed shafts that could be made into a live axel, if you can turn them down and add threads, or solid axel, thread both ends and make your own bolt!!!
dave

Already picked up some chintsy 1 3/8" OD bearings at the ACE parts counter, they're press-fit and have a flange so there's no worries of whether they'll stay put. I was just worrying about putting all the side load on 1 bearing by running w/o spacers in the wheels, so thanks alot for that O-right trick to help center it for assembly. I'll just have to play around with the one between the wheel & sprocket, since I was thinking of runnin a full 3 bearings out back. There was 1 bearing in the sprocket and bushings in the wheel back there when I got it....so that's how the righthand side lunched itself & the axle, allowing some lazy person to use the sprocket/chain for tearin up the frame.

Now I was searching around the mini/kart supplier sites and found the $5-9 double-threaded axles they sell w/ nyloc nuts, but we do have a fastenal nearby and a much bigger place across town called mid-states bolt & screw where I'm sure I can get 5/8"x18 bolts in any length I want (and better locking nuts too). Hopefully they also have lengths of steel spacer tubing, because I'll just get that cut down at one of the many machine shops around.

Guess I have a few phone calls to make, so thanks for clearin this up a bit!