Sachs 50/MA compression

I did a compression test today of my 1971 Arctic Cat Prowler with the Sachs 47 cc engine and am getting about 90-95 psi.....only thing is I don't know what it should be! I have seen some say 85-90 might indicate a worn engine, others seemed like 90 was "ok" but yet other say 140-150 is ideal. Just trying to determine how good / bad of shape I am in.

The motor starts up pretty easy but does seem to struggle / slow down considerably when going up the slight hill to our house. Just curious if this would be due to a worn engine / low compression.

Ding Ding

I did a compression test today of my 1971 Arctic Cat Prowler with the Sachs 47 cc engine and am getting about 90-95 psi.....only thing is I don't know what it should be! I have seen some say 85-90 might indicate a worn engine, others seemed like 90 was "ok" but yet other say 140-150 is ideal. Just trying to determine how good / bad of shape I am in.

The motor starts up pretty easy but does seem to struggle / slow down considerably when going up the slight hill to our house. Just curious if this would be due to a worn engine / low compression.
Matt,

The compression should be at 90 lbs, plus. This is noted in the Sach 50 AMX Maintenance & Instruction sheet. So at 90-95 psi it should be great compression wise.

I would look elsewhere for your lack of power issue. Could be point gap, could be a build up of carbon in the exhaust. Or the bike isn't in the correct gear for a hill, as it didn't down shift in to 1st.

Mike

Doh, nevermind....I found it in another thread. I was expecting it to be a bigger doc than that. On to checking the points and clean the exhaust.