Scored a Tecumseh

Well I'm pretty happy, yesterday at a car show I scored what looks like either a Tecumseh HS40 or HS50 snowblower engine for $20. I took the carb off today, and gave it a good cleaning which got the engine running. It seemed as if the engine had an airleak. I put a brand new muffler on it and after about 5 minutes of running the paint on the muffler was starting to peal so I shut it down. It had a very high idle, and when throttle was given it would sputter like it was rich but stay running. I've never seen an engine get hot that fast. So at this point I'll replace the carb and intake gasket, and check the head gasket too.

I took off a good working carb from my Rupp's HS35, and put it on the HS40/50 and the engine ran like new. I guess ebay would be my only choice for a new carb ?

Nice find for 20 bucks, Looking at the flywheel cover its a HS40. If the intake port looks like the one I'm posting its a HS50 and they usually have the squared of flywheel covers.

I just checked the intake port, and it don't look like the one in the pictured, so HS40 it is. Thanks for helping me figure out what model the engine is. :thumbsup: