Tecumseh ID

Lizardking

I've been trying to figure out what I have but can't find any numbers on shroud. Engine shroud was powder coated and can't make out any numbers. Was looking for the gas tank and found one that looked like it would fit but doesn't. Only paid $10 for the 6 hp and sounds like it will run. Was told it is the original engine to my All Terrain Roper from the early 70's.
20200903_142125.jpg 20200903_142113.jpg 20200905_103122.jpg 20200905_103352.jpg 20200905_102019.jpg

Regarding the engine mounted to the frame in the first few pics. It looks like a craftsman engine from an edger. based on the dipstick and air cleaner The recoil may not be original to the engine as the original recoil would have been riveted on and now has screws. The recoil appears to be a lawson/ early tecumseh stamping which predates the engine .The carb is newer than the engine because it has a fitting for a breather hose on top. The original would have been a diapragm carb. Your close up pics are kinda too close to tell but if it has a side exhaust and the four bosses in the side cover are not tapped ,its definetly an edger motor. Another clue is the spacer on the rear head bolt for the rear mount one quart tank.

Regarding the other engine it is NOT original to the fat tire roper as the roper came with a 4hp small frame engine ie., Hs40 rebadged as a Craftsman 143,xxxxxx with a 2qt front mounted tank. That 6 horse wont even fit in the frame with tank and air cleaner set up.

Post more pics of the first engine and I can give you a better answer.

Lizardking

Regarding the engine mounted to the frame in the first few pics. It looks like a craftsman engine from an edger. based on the dipstick and air cleaner The recoil may not be original to the engine as the original recoil would have been riveted on and now has screws. The recoil appears to be a lawson/ early tecumseh stamping which predates the engine .The carb is newer than the engine because it has a fitting for a breather hose on top. The original would have been a diapragm carb. Your close up pics are kinda too close to tell but if it has a side exhaust and the four bosses in the side cover are not tapped ,its definetly an edger motor. Another clue is the spacer on the rear head bolt for the rear mount one quart tank.

Regarding the other engine it is NOT original to the fat tire roper as the roper came with a 4hp small frame engine ie., Hs40 rebadged as a Craftsman 143,xxxxxx with a 2qt front mounted tank. That 6 horse wont even fit in the frame with tank and air cleaner set up.

Post more pics of the first engine and I can give you a better answer.
The one in the bike frame is the one in question. The 6hp was bought for the gas tank but it's too big. It was taken apart for powder coating which explains the screws on the recoil.
20200905_103229.jpg 20200903_135737.jpg 20200902_124519.jpg

Upon further review, the ruling on the field is reversed . I went back to pics in your other posting and i can see that the engine has rear exhaust on the right side looking from the rear . That would indicate an HS40 . The 3/4 crank is a drilled and tapped . The side sump cover is also tapped. The rounded shroud is rules out it being an HS50( unless custom built).

The comments on the carb, recoil and the other 6hp engine still stands.

Lizardking

Upon further review, the ruling on the field is reversed . I went back to pics in your other posting and i can see that the engine has rear exhaust on the right side looking from the rear . That would indicate an HS40 . The 3/4 crank is a drilled and tapped . The side sump cover is also tapped. The rounded shroud is rules out it being an HS50( unless custom built).

The comments on the carb, recoil and the other 6hp engine still stands.
HS40 is a 4 hp ? I was told engine is the original to the bike. Maybe newer carb and different recoil were added when taken apart for powder coating? Just wanted to know the size for future part needs and to get a gas tank for it.

Yes an hs40 is a 4hp, and is the correct engine for the bike. I misunderstood your first post which inferred the 6hp was original to the bike. I dont have access to the right model number for the engine but in know its is 143.xxxxxx with a serial number which starts with a 1 or 2, to indicate 1971 or 1972 build date. Check Jchev136's pics of his big wheel bike roper and see if you can read his engine plate. He has one of the most original bikes I know of.

mustangfrank

Looks like the HS40 on the mini had a model/serial plate on the front side of the shroud if I'm seeing the top rivet hole where the tag would go...tells you at least the shroud is a pre 1973 when they went to stamped numbers on top.

Not sure if the H60 is a 71 or 81?

Lizardking

Looks like the HS40 on the mini had a model/serial plate on the front side of the shroud if I'm seeing the top rivet hole where the tag would go...tells you at least the shroud is a pre 1973 when they went to stamped numbers on top.

Not sure if the H60 is a 71 or 81?
Good info! This is the numbers on the h60.
Last numbers are 1240.
20200905_101432.jpg

mustangfrank

H60-75480M is the Tecumseh number for the engine...has to be a 1981 by the "1" starting the serial number and top stamped numbers unless by chance Sears did their own thing.

Lizardking

H60-75480M is the Tecumseh number for the engine...has to be a 1981 by the "1" starting the serial number and top stamped numbers unless by chance Sears did their own thing.
Now I know why I didn't find any numbers stamped on my shroud. The tag must of not been reattached after powder coating. I bought my bike with the restoration process started and almost finished. The information given here on the tecomseh should be a sticky. Thank you