The "What is it" of the day

I got this mini used about 20 years ago. When I bought it back then, it looked like it was already 20+ years old. I sold it about 15 years ago, and believe it or not I tracked it down locally and bought it back last month. At one time when I had it, it was black powder coated with a new Briggs 5HP on it. It looked sharp in it's day. The way you see it in the photos is the result of the previous owner..

To date, I have yet to see a frame like this one. It's got a single down tube and does not look home made at all by the looks of it and the welds and so on.. So, if anyone has any ideas as to what it is, I'd love to hear from you.. It's had me puzzled for the past 20 years..

It looks to be a Grand Prix Standard
I would agree with you, except all the photos of the Grand Prix Standards on here, the frame is different in the area where the down tube attaches to the engine mounting plate.. The rear axle area of the frame also looks different..

What about the Missile you mentioned originally? Do you have any history or info on them, or a time period that this thing is possibly from?

Thanks so far, this is all more info than I've ever had in the past on this thing..

-Marc

Other than the fold down bars, it looks like the standard model in this brochure.GRAND PRIX & TRAIL SCOUT The plate under the seat and hanging down in back is what made me think Grand Prix.It has the thick triple trees like all of the other Taiwan frame bikes.

Other than the fold down bars, it looks like the standard model in this brochure.GRAND PRIX & TRAIL SCOUT The plate under the seat and hanging down in back is what made me think Grand Prix.It has the thick triple trees like all of the other Taiwan frame bikes.
After looking closer at the brochure, it looks identical to the standard model minus the fold down handlebars.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

-Marc

Here is one I sold to Ron707 ... Ya'll called it an Import of some sort ... Somebody added the cross bar and tweeked the bars down a bit ... The HS40 Tec I kept ...