Thule Trooper Re-Sto !

Hi All,
here’s my story….
living and working in and around Anacortes WA since 1979. Sold boat business and ‘retired’ two years ago.
I acquired this cool Thule Trooper from a very large man on a little local island, Eliza, back in the late 80’s.
put a new Tecumseh on it and a few times, rode in our annual local MC event, Oyster Run Where it was a hit with the ladies and kids however most of the Harley tough guys wanted to kill me ! Perhaps the bubble machine on the handle bars or the red WW2 flack helmet pissed em’ off or just my stupid blissful smile !
Now I’m in the painted, modified, and reassembly period of a complete restoration of this old red gem. It all started one rainy day, hanging out in garage with grandkid, showing him how to take stuff apart, of course the rest has been a total solo job.
It’s been a real eye opening voyage to learn just how many details I attended to, wife calls it being ‘anal’… I say it’s more so ’thourogh.
Whats next with it ? I dunno, ride in more events and place in old bike shows and ride around the yard, I’m thinking, grand kid will be back onboard for that !
Anyone else go this deeply into a mini bike resto project or is my wife right !?

Danjuan
Anacortes, WA.

Attachments

pomfish

First off, Welcome to the Mighty OldMiniBikes!

Alright, I'm confused here (not hard sometimes) but anyway, what the hell does the shock do?
It's not in the bike show pic and the frame looks like hardtail, so..............Where's the hinge?
I like the bike regardless.

The hat, you could tell your wife this is part of the Men's Red Hat mini bike society maybe :)
Cool, but Dorky cool , chicks dig the dorks so it's all good.
Later ,
Keith

Last edited:

Augiedoggie

Hi All,
here’s my story….
living and working in and around Anacortes WA since 1979. Sold boat business and ‘retired’ two years ago.
I acquired this cool Thule Trooper from a very large man on a little local island, Eliza, back in the late 80’s.
put a new Tecumseh on it and a few times, rode in our annual local MC event, Oyster Run Where it was a hit with the ladies and kids however most of the Harley tough guys wanted to kill me ! Perhaps the bubble machine on the handle bars or the red WW2 flack helmet pissed em’ off or just my stupid blissful smile !
Now I’m in the painted, modified, and reassembly period of a complete restoration of this old red gem. It all started one rainy day, hanging out in garage with grandkid, showing him how to take stuff apart, of course the rest has been a total solo job.
It’s been a real eye opening voyage to learn just how many details I attended to, wife calls it being ‘anal’… I say it’s more so ’thourogh.
Whats next with it ? I dunno, ride in more events and place in old bike shows and ride around the yard, I’m thinking, grand kid will be back onboard for that !
Anyone else go this deeply into a mini bike resto project or is my wife right !?

Danjuan
Anacortes, WA.
Good on ya sir! Tell the wife your mini obsession is plenty normal as long as you remain fully clothed during your enjoyment of your hobby. Now about that silly hat......:rolleyes:

Good on ya sir! Tell the wife your mini obsession is plenty normal as long as you remain fully clothed during your enjoyment of your hobby. Now about that silly hat......:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

….. ya, the hat, actually a very trusted helmet that our 4-dads & granddads, knew as they were flying raids and bombing runs in WW2, being flack flashed much of the way. AND the ear covers hinge up for superior peripheral vision and audio of the crowd cheering as I pass by at speed !
DOT approved, not so much….

regarding naked garage time, not an issue for too many reasons to lizt ( :

Alright, I'm confused here (not hard sometimes) but anyway, what the hell does the shock do?
It's not in the bike show pic and the frame looks like hardtail, so..............Where's the hinge?

The hat, you could tell your wife this is part of the Men's Red Hat mini bike society maybe :)
Later ,
Keith

…Good eye, there. It is way definitely not a stock option, I just added it, have yet to ride it with. The hinge/spring is the frame itself which could use some help after 55 years and supporting a very large fella in the beginning, the machine acted as a ‘get around rascal’ before they were thought of and on an island that at the time did not allow the owners to have every day vehicles, or even golf carts.
I also added it because at blistering speeds exceeding 15 MPH-plus, the seat vibrated and stuff was a bit blurry !

wife is okay with the red ‘hat’ as it matches the bike along with me explaining to her that it’s indeed a safety item, a helmet, as it were !
All good here, if we can’t get a chuckle out of our own selfs, we’re all fubared anywayz.!

( True, chicks dig it )

18E0D4C0-FCF0-436A-BB54-BC1694855525.jpeg

Shame you didn't have an American made engine.
Ya, I did not know they are not American made, used to be. Wanted one that would start and run better than a B & S and figured a Honda would be blatantly unpatrioticeven though the color matched.

Triley41395

Later ,
Keith
Looks like a neat design but the metal fatigue would be bad. Screenshot_20231013_045553_Chrome.jpg

Hi All,
here’s my story….

Danjuan
Anacortes, WA.
Looks like a neat design but the metal fatigue would be bad. View attachment 306867 [/QUOTE
Hi, the bikes were made out spring steel. It allowed the to flex for a smoother ride. This is my bike and a 1964. received_286181490623840.jpeg

Harquebus

What engine do you have mounted on the Trooper?

It looks like a Tecumseh OHV and therefore American made, please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe you are spot on correct.
it is indeed an OHV and I have found no indication of any of their small engine manufacturing done other than in US, Michigan, for that matter. Sadly, I’ve just discovered they closed their doors in 09’, presumably after the effects of the 08’ $ crash.
So, unless we are stood corrected, it IS ‘American built’.
Thanks for your attention in this !
C863D4D7-221D-4053-832C-4F698CCF9B50.jpeg 54018146-121E-4FA3-97D9-5CBE4323DE71.jpeg D0ABADD1-3A32-4348-A6FE-C1FA7D47924B.jpeg 8A92AAD7-682A-44E4-886A-EF0F1974387E.png