wheel and tire help

Ok guys..I need some help..when it comes to wheel, tire, sprocket, brake setups..I am just plain stupid

I have an MTD minibike, I am just redoing as a rider for my kids..so not restoring it to authentic.

It has 4.10 x 3.50 -6 wheels/tires the rear wheel as the driven sprocket on the right hand side (opposite the engines drive shaft)..so there was originally a jackshaft...should I try and rebuild a jackshaft...or just flip the wheel around to put the driven sprocket on the same side as the driveshaft? I also have a Comet TAV 30 assymetrical torq a verter I'd like to use on it...

Now..my question is..I want to mount the brake on the rear wheel as well, on the opposite side as the sprocket.....what do I need to do this correctly? a band brake, or a drum brake, or????? if you could post a link of exactly what I need that will mount up to the rear wheel on the opposite side as the sprocket that would be great.

Also...in your opinions should I try and come up with some sort of jackshaft setup...or just flip the rear wheel around and run straight off the engine shat?

THanks for any help

Dan

it would be better to stick with the jackshaft for a couple reasons, you will more than likely bind the chain and snap it if you have a swingarm (rear wheel suspension), you can really lower the gearing if you off road it or do hill climbs. the downfall to a jackshaft is theres more moving parts to fail, more money for maintnence when things wear out ( which by the way is insignificant), more drag because there is 2 more sprockets and 1 more chain added to the drivetrain, and finally is noise. really the noise isn't that bad though.
i have a jackshft on my bonanza and i love it because i liketo play with gearing and get it where i want it when i want, so if i'm going on a street run i'll up the gearing or if i'm gonna be in the soft stuff i'll lower the hell out of it (i can pop wheelies no probablem with the lower gearing) and its great. really its preference.
i would say get a ''drum in sprocket'' brake they work good if adjusted properly and are compact, but don't get a clutch brake because if you have a chain failure you won't have brakes. check out some of the setups they have here in the OldMiniBikes Warehouse you'll find what you need

thanks for the info...so my next question is..if I go with a jackshaft setup..I KNOW I won't be able to find an original setup that the MTD used...SO........should I just buy a 5/8" jackshaft and a couple sprockets..and make my own using a couple pillow blocks?

Any input on the jackshaft would be awesome.

Can you tell how the jackshaft was mounted before?
Seems like the most simple would be to use the existing mount points.
You should be able to find a shaft, sprockets, bearings and misc hardware for that.

dragmop...yes, the original jackshaft setup..actually bolted to another plate that sits just behind the engine plate. I also got some drawings from Delray of the old jackshaft setup....It didn't use pillow blocks at all..it'l require a little plate steel cutting and welding..which is no big deal for me, as I have the equipment to do so. So I think I am going to build one with those dimensions from scratch and do it that way.

Dan

C9H13NO3

You could use the TAV if you extended the 5/8s shaft out past the backing plate and the use 1 pillow block bearing to support the shaft on the opposite side of the driven and then stick a sprocket on it. Then you can use your tav AND have a jackshaft. Like having your cake and eating it too!