Which of these engines best for minibike?

copyman

Hi,

Which of these engines would be best for a 1970 minibike with a slanted mount? Won't be using gas tank as bike has mounted tank. Have been looking for older engine to make bike correct but as you know they are so hard to find, and expensive! Forget about a lighted engine almost impossible to find!

The first 3 pics are HS40 looks to be a 1979 or 1989 engine if I'm reading 1st digit of serial # right? Does the "K" at end of model # mean anything?

The last pic (trying to get better pics & serial #) is an HS50 with 1" shaft so the owner tells me. Not sure if you can see enough to give opinion?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Triley41395

Hi,

Which of these engines would be best for a 1970 minibike with a slanted mount? Won't be using gas tank as bike has mounted tank. Have been looking for older engine to make bike correct but as you know they are so hard to find, and expensive! Forget about a lighted engine almost impossible to find!

The first 3 pics are HS40 looks to be a 1979 or 1989 engine if I'm reading 1st digit of serial # right? Does the "K" at end of model # mean anything?

The last pic (trying to get better pics & serial #) is an HS50 with 1" shaft so the owner tells me. Not sure if you can see enough to give opinion?

Thanks for the help!
The HS50 will definitely look more period correct. I'm not really a fan of the looks of the pull start on that HS40,doesn't mean it is bad, I'm just not a fan. The 1" crank could be a problem if you want a low tooth count clutch but it would work.