Yet another sprocket question.

Picked up a project mini recently. Originally built for racing, what type I dunno. Engine is a 6.5 hp Briggs, ohv. 22mm mikuni carb, super short header, governor pulled and welded hole. Unsure at this moment what else has been done but it pulls hard. Torque converter, 12 tooth on drive, 72 on rear, 15in tires. Bike is low and long. Heck the header is half an inch off the steel seat plate, and maybe a inch off the motor. 35 chain.

Despite the decent sized tires and long frame, mashing the throttle from a dead stop, it will still pick up my 200 lb ass, even if all my weight is in front of the engine. Top speed runs have seen GPS clocked speed of 44 mph with a bit more pedal left. That was the hardest I was willing to push it with the old ATV tires on it. Plus with the last owner losing the air filter it leans out too much on the top end. I'm looking for more top end but less bottom. I want to mellow it out a bit for when my kids ride with me around the yard while still having plenty of top end for back country road cruising.

Currently have a 15 tooth and 60 tooth picked out sitting in an online cart. I'm afraid that will cut too much bottom end out and I'll get stopped by my 300 lb buddy riding a 5hp brigg swapped lil indian. Would running just the 15 tooth with the original 72 be good or maybe 12/60 better?

Side note, 35 chain 6 hole rear sprockets do not have many options at all :/.

44mph seems a bit slow for what you’ve got. Post some pictures.
I only have 1 picture and won't be back in the state for 4 days. Don't judge, damn thing is definitely a work in progress and the previous owner did not care for her like he should have. Fuel at higher RPMs seems to be a sticking point but according to

https://www.bmikarts.com/Go-Kart-Gear-Ratio-Speed-Calculator

I would have been spinning 6k rpms, and I'm pretty sure with a cleaning and air filter more would be easy. Of course I have no clue if a torque converter throws that off. Honestly this is my first time back into minis in over 6 years.

Attachments