z50

markus

after taking the 2 apart and saving the best pieces for one I am starting to put together a complete K2 Z50. I really wanted to go all out and build a show quality bike, but the reality of low funds right now does not allow. I was still going to paint but I know if I did that then I would be unhappy with certain parts and would not put it together until I bought or restored other pieces and that would cost big bucks so I made the decision to clean up as best as possible, get it together and ride. After all thats more fun!

SO I bought a matched set of these earlier this year, one had a damaged frame the other had the headlight/taillight. so I took both of them down to bare frames and started swapping parts. I sold off the welded frame last month (it was on here for sale)

Right now I'm about halfway there, I have been cleaning, doing quick and dirty polishing jobs on certain parts, and sorting parts. I just dug the sandblast cabinet out and stuck some fresh bead in it so I am going to work on stuff like the seat bottom, taillight assy, hubs, and a few other parts. I also scored a cool skid plate accessory that I need to blast too. The motor has a date with my pressure cleaner and hopefully it will clean up pretty good. I know the sidecovers will require some paint but hopefully thats it. Both the bikes ran when I bought them and we drove them out of the flea market, but they both were staling etc.. due to sloppy/missing exhaust parts and both had the adjustment needles removed and plugged. The one in the bike I sold after a needle and some fine tuning ran real smooth hopefully this one will follow suit!

Looks like you're going to have a pretty good looking Z50. If you want the engine to look better, after a GOOD cleaning, use some Duplicolor Aluminum engine enamel. put on a LIGHT coat. The engine will then look like tacky fake chrome. But then put a couple of coats of Duplicolor clear. The flashy silver will turn to a darker, more aluminum metalic color, very similar to the original finish.

Markus,
Nice looking project bike, better looking tool bench, get tired of your mess, just fold up the sides, probably good at keeping little fingers out of those stragically placed parts, I should have one of those in my shop, but I don't think it will fit in the basement,lol.
dave

markus

Yea the single cab has made the ultimate rolling workbench, problem is I can't drive it around when using like this:doah: I'm trying hard to clean the garage up and once again find my actual workbench so I can start driving it again!

Jimh thanks for the tip-both covers will definitely need repainted!

markus

Well I'm pretty much finished as I will get for now with this bike. I finnally got it all back together

I sandblasted the wheels hubs engine covers etc.. I polished the hubs but everything else I painted using JimH's tip. Color came out real good. Of course I polished all the bolts but did not coat them with anything so I am redoing a couple:doah:. bike runs good, could maybe use a jet change, its not as quick to get to speed as other z50's I have had. but the motor is tight and in good working order. I was able to all orginal parts with the exception of a reprodution chain guard. while its not perfect by any means it has all the right parts on it and no hacks. Of course money susks right now so its going on the chopping block. I hate to do that as I really love the look of the hardtails, but on the other hand, I kinda don't like how they ride.

That bike looks good ,, I am here to tell you I over sold last year ,, I wish I had some of my bikes back ,, with that said ,, Be sure you want to sell it ,,