Muskin Cat Slingshot "all american" version

markus

Hard to tell since its an illustrated advertisment and the description does not verify, but was the all american version of the slingshot/r3502 forks and fenders chrome or did they get painted white? The all Americans based off the smaller bikes got de chromed from what I remember. and the JC Penneys "American" 1050a based off the duster chopper was all de-chromed as well IIRC

Just picked up a roller R3502 roller thats a very much reworkable unit but they sanded on the chrome forks....which is a bummer cause it really didn't look too bad. Looking for a cheap way out :wink: I totally forgot that the slingshots were one piece forks and bars too, was standing there with wrenches in my hand ready to pop the bars off :laugh: Have not had a slingshot here in like 10 years and didn't pay much attention to the one I had.....only way those bars are coming off are with a sawzall!!

markus

I like how the fork spring is in the wrong place in the picture...
they should have added in the description "some RE-assembly required" :laugh:

Lets see the "before" picture before you tear into it. :laugh:
its nothing special by any means, but what is there is solid and dry. Already pulled the rusty chain, 2hp briggs doorstop, azusa shorty seat (complete with a colony of carpenter ants living in it-free gift with purchase) and grips/cables that were on it off so I could hit it with the hose and see whats there. Not pretty but the frame, other than spray bomb has no been buggered and is very dry with no pitting in or repairs to be made. Its the green paint underneath on the frame.

Wheels appear pretty good, looks like they didn't sand on the stars so there might be hope for saving the chrome on them. so I'm gonna pull them apart and get them soaking in chemical to strip them down and start there.

markus

Got a little work done to this turd, Left the top front of the frame in the tub that has chemicals to strip paint to long and took ALL the paint off it, but the OG green was worn and sanded on so no big deal. Had blasted the wheels out and etch primed them, Its been taking up space for the last couple of weeks like this:

Today while cleaning out the paint cabinet I found a can of black with enough paint in it to just knock the wheels out, so I sprayed them out this morning, even had some silver so I dug around and found the old bowl I had that is the perfect size to mask off the inside of the wheel and even got that done.

got them slapped back together after lunch, The seat that came on it is an azusa shorty, the wood was rotted and had carpenter ants in it when I ripped it off the bike. Its been outside and the ants went and found something else to destroy so I yanked what was left of the wood and made a new base for it out of a scrap section of 3/4" ply just to have something for it for now, nothing special but its better than it was and I was able to use leftovers so far. Will need to at least get some etching primer on the frame if its gonna sit around much longer though.