Help torque converter size needed!!!

Hi all,
I am getting a monster moto 212 from Walmart and would like to upgrade to a cvt.
I contacted monster moto and they said it has 420 chain so what sprocket size will work?
Like #35 or #40 I am kinda confused about this. All info appreciated.

420 chain is a narrower version of 40 meant specifically for motorcycles. 420 chain and sprockets do not interchange with 40 but OldMiniBikes and many other places carry 420 series parts.

420 chain - 420 sprocket. 420 and 41 have the same pitch, roller diameter and width (the internal pin is a different diameter) and use the same sprockets. 35 is a much smaller chain. 40 has the same pitch as 420/41 but slightly larger diameter (+.006") and wider (+.0625") rollers. A 40 sprocket would work if it were thinned (machined to be thinner), but it would be like starting out with a slightly worn sprocket since it's machined for the slightly larger dia rollers. There are sprockets marketed as 40/41/420, they would be machined for the larger dia 40 rollers but for the narrower width of the 420/41; like most one size fits all products, they aren't ideal for any size (they are just a thinned 40 sprocket as mentioned previously). The .006" difference isn't huge, obviously, and it would work, it just wouldn't be ideal. A 420/41 sprocket would be ideal.

chainspecs2.jpg

The bike you're getting has a huge rear sprocket, much larger than the 53T sprocket on the CVT equipped Pro Series 212 (look at photos and compare). If you use that sprocket with a CVT, which adds a variable primary drive that starts out at 2.7:1, you will have some serious gearing. You could be a hole shot hero, if you can hang on to it. You could compensate by using a larger than usual sprocket on the CVT, but I don't know what's available.

After all of that, I just looked at parts diagrams/lists on the MM site. They list the Pro Series 212 chain/sprockets as being #40; I'd bet your bike will have a #40 chain, also (it would make sense to use the same chain on both bikes). When you get your bike, check for a number stamped into the chain side plates. If by some slim chance none of the plates are stamped, measure the roller width.

Is 420 chain pretty strong?
Because red beard garage mentioned that some chain was not strong enough I'm not sure if he mentioned 420 or not.
Just want to know if it is strong enough to stand some abuse.

I run 420 pitch chain on my Coleman CT200U with a Torque Converter,and it's fine. The chain on my MM212 Pro is 40 pitch? The CT200U goes hill climbing and trail riding all the time, and the chain holds up well. 40/420 your good to go!

RBG takes a lot of machines that don't have problems, and hacks them up anyway! That's what their show is about! If you watched the episode about the Monster Moto 212 he rides it and says it rides so smooth it feels like it has rear suspension! Next video he is cutting off the back of the frame, to build rear suspension!:D They would take a new Corvette and hack it up just to see if they could make it better than the guy's at GM! LOL!

And what if I got a #40 sprocket for the back and #40 chain with a #40 cvt would that work?
Most converters come with 1 or 2 sprockets. Some will have a #35 sprocket (mostly used by go carts, and a few smaller mini bikes. Some come with both a 35,and a 40/41/420 sprocket. The two important things to look at are the driver shaft size, and the sprocket size! I installed a TC on our Coleman CT200U and it uses 420 chains I ordered a TC with the 41/420 sprocket. 40/41/420 chain all have the same gauge (1/2 inch) #40 chain is just has a wider inside measurement for thicker sprockets!

Ron dog does your pro series eith the cvt have good power. I'm want to know if I should get 50 tooth or 60 tooth.
Mine came with a 53 tooth rear sprocket. While we haven't been able to get them out due to bad weather (my friend also bought a 212 Pro) I can tell you ,mine with 1/4 throttle will lift the front wheel while rolling. It has about 15 minutes running time on it so no full throttle yet. I weigh 250 + lbs.

Most converters come with 1 or 2 sprockets. Some will have a #35 sprocket (mostly used by go carts, and a few smaller mini bikes. Some come with both a 35,and a 40/41/420 sprocket. The two important things to look at are the driver shaft size, and the sprocket size! I installed a TC on our Coleman CT200U and it uses 420 chains I ordered a TC with the 41/420 sprocket. 40/41/420 chain all have the same gauge (1/2 inch) #40 chain is just has a wider inside measurement for thicker sprockets!
So it should work?

Mine came with a 53 tooth rear sprocket. While we haven't been able to get them out due to bad weather (my friend also bought a 212 Pro) I can tell you ,mine with 1/4 throttle will lift the front wheel while rolling. It has about 15 minutes running time on it so no full throttle yet. I weigh 250 + lbs.
Then I can probably use a 50 tooth. I only weigh 95 pounds