Kill switch install

Bbqman

Bought a single wire pushbutton kill switch. Hooked the one wire to where the condenser and coil connect at the points. Now won't start. What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance IMG_20210125_142137623.jpg

Possible a nick in the insulation is grounding it out, or it was/is a total coincidence there's a different issue all together. Especially if that's the only thing that's been done since it ran?
Might double check there's not a whisker hanging out of the Sta-kon(blue connector) touching the case or that it's grounding out against the case?

Bbqman

Possible a nick in the insulation is grounding it out, or it was/is a total coincidence there's a different issue all together. Especially if that's the only thing that's been done since it ran?
Might double check there's not a whisker hanging out of the Sta-kon(blue connector) touching the case or that it's grounding out against the case?
Wire is fine from switch to connector, no whiskers of wire coming out of connector and grounding out. Took the switch off checked for continuity. One lead on end of switch wire other lead on metal switch. It goes to zero when I push the switch button. Now what??

mustangfrank

Wire is fine from switch to connector, no whiskers of wire coming out of connector and grounding out. Took the switch off checked for continuity. One lead on end of switch wire other lead on metal switch. It goes to zero when I push the switch button. Now what??
If it was running fine before you added the kill switch, pop the cover off and make sure everything is still in place to points and the plastic insulator that the stud goes through the points housing isn't cracked.

Bbqman

If it was running fine before you added the kill switch, pop the cover off and make sure everything is still in place to points and the plastic insulator that the stud goes through the points housing isn't cracked.
I will check, could I have over tightened the nut when I put the kill switch on and crack the plastic piece?

mustangfrank

I've learned a great deal of humility being a home mechanic/gearhead...first question I always ask myself when something goes wrong after I have worked on it..."what did I touch?"!

Bbqman

Ok so I took the cover off the points everything good there. I took the coil and condenser wire off. The coil wire had what looks to be an original end. I cut that off and put a new end on it. Left the kill switch off. Everything was nice and snug. Put the flywheel and cover back on and it fired right up. I don't know lol. Not taking flywheel of again for a while I will just use the metal tab bolted to the head. Still don't know what's going on but thanks to everyone who helped out!

mustangfrank

I put new points on it 2 months ago so I don't think that would be an issue
Glad it's running, the picture looked like the stack of three terminals was holding the nut washer up but as long as they were all touching each other?

New points to you, I don't know what companies if any have actually made anything for Tecumsehs in a while especially points after they got dropped in 84ish.

Bbqman

Glad it's running, the picture looked like the stack of three terminals was holding the nut washer up but as long as they were all touching each other?

New points to you, I don't know what companies if any have actually made anything for Tecumsehs in a while especially points after they got dropped in 84ish.
I found some nos points. Yes they were all touching. Going to try and put the kill switch back on tomorrow. I am a gluten for punishment