Question about predator 212 @ higher rpm’s

so did you figure out anything with your jetting. I am running a Nibbi PE24 and it runs great on any main or pilot. I'm at 950ft and currently running 130 main and 38 pilot. I think tomorrow I am going to step up to a 42 pilot until i go rich, Right now I can't get a plug to change colors. Just stays pretty much brand new looklng after 10 hours of riding and idling. RPM when WOT stop at 3800 rpm

Your altitude will cause it to run lean. My uneducated guess would be to fatten up the mixture at all throttle positions.
That means bigger main and pilot. Maybe try a restrictive air filter to see what happens.
Tuning a carb is the process of making it work with your combination of engine parts, riding style and your ENVIRONMENT.
Most of the basic recommendations are coming from people closer to sea level. At 1000 feet above sea level, you will run lean if you follow those suggestions. Go big.
so you think I need to go up in main jet size too?

Minimichael

so did you figure out anything with your jetting. I am running a Nibbi PE24 and it runs great on any main or pilot. I'm at 950ft and currently running 130 main and 38 pilot. I think tomorrow I am going to step up to a 42 pilot until i go rich, Right now I can't get a plug to change colors. Just stays pretty much brand new looklng after 10 hours of riding and idling. RPM when WOT stop at 3800 rpm
What size and type of engine are you running?

Minimichael

I was just gonna say since brookbank (the new guy) says it runs great on any main or pilot, He could already be too rich for that size carb but if he's jetted even higher and is running good now then that's good, for now ;)

I was just gonna say since brookbank (the new guy) says it runs great on any main or pilot, He could already be too rich for that size carb but if he's jetted even higher and is running good now then that's good, for now ;)
If he was too rich, would his plug still look like new?
What is your guess as to why he tops out at 3800 wide open? I assume his governor in not connected.

Minimichael

Yeah I wondered about the gov, too. It's the topping out at 3800 but still being called "good" that has me thinking it's a richness problem. Like he's bumping into a limitation rather than coming up short of it. He said it runs good no matter the jet, which tells me he doesn't have the mixture dialed in but may just be happily over-fueled. Plus he wouldn't be saying it runs "good" if he was under-jetted. Nibbi PE24 ships with 108-115 main jets, and only one design for their too-long nibbi needle (which is undoubtedly still too far buried in the hole). He says it doesn't run better than 120 no matter how much bigger the main jet. So I'm thinking pull that needle up higher to get it out of the way at WOT and he may find better fuel flow, and might even find he can jet down toward 120 or 115 again and maybe find his sweet spot. Two cents..

Last edited:
Just a thought. If the spark plug is of the wrong heat range, too hot, it may stay white and not show any deposit colors.
The engine in this case is highly modified from original, race cars/high performance cars run cooler heat range plugs than normal street cars.
Maybe your stock heat range plug is no longer correct for your engine.
If it were me, I would go to the auto parts store with the original spark plug and purchase a plug that is 2 or 3 steps cooler.
Just some food for thought. Let us know what you think.

The higher the altitude the less dense the air the richer it will run
We had motorcycles coming to Myrtle Beach for bike week every year. We had to stock up on spark plugs because the bikes coming from higher altitude areas down to sea level ran so rich, they fouled plugs. Rather than rejet for the week, they just changed the plugs. It would seem that higher altitude and thinner air would make them rich, but for some reason, that does not seem true. Maybe not enough signal, or airflow to draw fuel from the bowl?

1000 feet should not be drastic, but OP stated his plug stays looking new after WOT riding.

Last edited:
Main jet correction chart for different altitudes and temperatures
Air density decreases with decreasing pressure and increasing temperature. If an
engine is operated at higher sea level, the weight of the aspirated air decreases,
whereas the aspirated fuel quantity remains practically the same. This results in richer
air/fuel mixture than at lower sea level.

The general rule for jetting is to drop one main jet size for every 2,000 feet of elevation increase. You can also go one clip position leaner on the needle jet. This is a good start for high-altitude adventuring, but depending on the temperature and humidity, you may need to go leaner or a touch richer.