Phoenix Engineering Go kart help identify model

I have a "Phoenix Engineering Go Kart" that i bought. A plate riveted to the bottom of the kart says Phoenix Engineering Inc.; with a serial number of: 27092. I looked up the company but could not find any go karts like mine. If you know the model of this kart, would you please let me know; and how much of this cart looks original. Also how rare it is because i want to reinforce it a little, which will take away the originality of it(if it is any part is original still).
Thanks for your time
Robert

Phoenix, for all purposes, I believe purchased Bird Engineering sometime in the '80s... I have a couple of Montgomery Wards big book catalogs from '84 and '85. the karts and mini bikes were listed as Bird in '84, and Phoenix Engineering in '85. Not sure which kart you have there, but it definitely looks to be an '80s era Bird/Phoenix Engineering brand... still has the Tecumseh motor, so it looks like you got it pretty complete.

Thanks for all of the input. I was was lucky to find a go kart like this. Now i know it is a bird/phoenix go kart. So would this be a mid 80's kart then based on the information stated? It does have a re-weld already by the axle opposite of the motor in the rear and the same side front axle is bent slightly. Would you reinforce the frame in a few spots to make it sturdier or leave it along because of what it is?

Last edited:
I was thinking about reinforcing this go kart by the rear axle and make a small front "bumper" to protect the front wheels/linkage. Would this be a good idea for the fact that this go kart is from the 80's(as far as rarity of this type of go kart that is original) or would you just leave it as it stands? :shrug: Any input would be appreciated because I do not want to destroy something that is hard to find.

I would minimize the modifications that would make substantial changes/alterations to the kart's general appearance, but if there's some minor structural modifications/strengthening needed, feel free to do so as you see fit.

Thank you for all of the kind replies and all of the very good information. This really helped me decide what to do with it. I am going to reinforce the frame minimally for longevity of the kart and that's it.
Robert

that's an 1980's era kart .i had 2 of them that i bought locally for 40.00 each .they were just frames,but in good shape.the motor plates on those r junk

We just got a bird go kart from a garage sale. It says bird automotive built by ford performance inc. the serial number is 1873. How do you find the info wi the serial number? Does anyone know what year, model, or what it's worth?

I hope that it is OK to bump this thread. The information that I have pertains directly to it.

The black go kart in the photo looks identical to the OP's go kart. This one is a Phoenix Engineering "MASTER of MOTION" "STARBIRD" #41553. At the bottom of the front page of the Owner's Handbook it has the "Bird" Eagle emblem and below that BIRD > "Manufacturer of America's Finest Recreational Vehicles".

It was delivered by Montgomery Ward on November 18, 1983. The engine has a sticker on it that says "CB 9-30-83". The number on the plate on the back of the seat is HI3-0018. I could not find a number or plate on the bottom.

There was also a spoiler that bolted to the back and a half round tapered deal that attached around the steering column. The spoiler has a "Star Bird" decal which I have. The thing around the steering column has a Bird Eagle decal on it. I'm not sure if the spoiler and steering column accessories are around somewhere.

The red go kart inset in the upper left is a Sears "Fun Kart" probably circa mid to late 1970s but I am not certain about that. It looks to me to be virtually identical to the Wards Starbird except where the brake axle passes through holes in tabs welded to the frame, the Sears kart has two tabs with holes on each side where the Wards only has one.

Other differences are that the Sears fun kart has a rubber mat toward the front as well as a nicer seat, steering wheel and pedals. I would venture to guess they were manufactured by the same company although at different times.

I hope this information has been helpful.

GO KARTS by woodyrr, on Flickr

I put some gas in the go kart pictured above and started it. It needs an air filter. Does the Tecumseh engine use a pleated filter or foam filter? The air filter cup is 3 1/4" in diameter and is about 2 1/8" deep. It looks like this:

Tecumseh Rupp Air Filter Cup

Where would be a good place to get an air filter?

Thanks for your help.

It is a pleated filter.

Tecumseh part number 30727

On Edit: The above part number is for a filter with a 3 1/2" base. Where are you measuring? The Tec filter in front of me is off a HH60 so maybe a bit bigger than what you need.

Last edited:
It is a pleated filter.

Tecumseh part number 30727

On Edit: The above part number is for a filter with a 3 1/2" base. Where are you measuring? The Tec filter in front of me is off a HH60 so maybe a bit bigger than what you need.
Thank you for your help.

I saw the 3 1/2" filter online but that appears to be too big. The inside diameter where the filter goes measures 3.40"

EDIT: I looked in the owner's handbook and all it says is the air filter is a replaceable paper filter and that the engine is a Tecumseh HS50-67167D.

Air Filter Cup by woodyrr, on Flickr

Last edited:
Everything I can find on the internet says it is the 30727 filter. I found a local place that sells them. I'll take the air filter and see what they say.

The base of the filter sits in the recess at the top of the cover. So where you are measuring is not right. Move up to the next step on the cover.