Success with old junk tractors

The thing about the old stuff is it was just made better the SS 16/2 & 18/2 tractors weigh in at around 700lbs so you dont just walk up to them and push them over like you can with the newer ones.There are grease zerks all over it and thats a rare thing on the newer lawn tractors :lol:.
That thing is a beast:thumbsup: You could take that to Lowes and smash through everything they sell.
Dad had a Allis Chalmers when I was growing up, I spent many hours on that machine. It was ridiculously heavy, everything on it was either plate steel or cast iron.
The new stuff is junk. No offence to anyone that just bought a new tractor:anon.sml:

That thing is a beast:thumbsup: You could take that to Lowes and smash through everything they sell.
Dad had a Allis Chalmers when I was growing up, I spent many hours on that machine. It was ridiculously heavy, everything on it was either plate steel or cast iron.
The new stuff is junk. No offence to anyone that just bought a new tractor:anon.sml:
Hell yes... :punk: Allis Chalmers is Simplicity.... G.M.C/Chevy... Simplicity is best in my book... Anything that weighs in at over 350 pounds and or 1974 or older is probably a good one though..

I forgot.. They had style also. From a block away you could tell a Cub Cadet from a Suburban.. Now they all look like they where designed in a wind tunnel.

Yeah that sears suburban's hood stands tall and proud.

I have been working on my neighbors craftsman tractor, its a 10hp tecumseh and the starter had froze up somehow and it had sat for so long the carb was filled with black stinky tar and the float was shot.
I got it running after fixing the stuck starter brush and replacing the float.

Man thats fun to try to get something like that running again.

OHH man am I starting to stack up the tractor trash.

I got another craftsman tractor from a friend at work and I was expecting it to be the usual 10-12hp but when I pulled the hood up I see a 18hp twin so I was happy even though the starter is not working the price was right FREE.

Then my neighbor tells me where there is another one out at the road with a frustrated owner just looking to get it out of there so I grab that little one.Its a rear engine and I was hoping it had a rear diff but NOO just a 3 speed with reverse gearbox still useable for a special project later this winter or early next spring.

If I could only get a minibike that easy.

They might just be melting with all the plastic and soft low grade metal they use now.:lol:
:doah: Nahhh it's probably the wind tunnel thing.. Friggin Eco-Terrorists gotta have everything so green they think making it more aerodynamic helps it with fuel efficiency.. Like one teaspoon per life time driving headlong into a tornado.. :eek:ut:

:lol: wind-tunnelling a tractor...yeah thats a good use of resources.:eek:ut: :lol:

I just got my SS-18 back together with a new drive belt and a set of 16x6.5-8 carlisle frieldtrac tires up front.They are much more aggressive than the barely ribbed airplane type tires it came with which should help with the snow plowing this winter.

The clutch lever was sloppy so I ground out the pivot pin and welded in a grade 8 bolt and put in a bronse bushing which will have to be replaced ASAP with the right steel bushing but I wanted to get it up and running fast so I'll use the bronse for a couple of weeks (if it holds up that long).

Now I can go thru the deck and try it out before winter and work on the plow and get it ready for the heavy, frequent snows they are calling for.

:lol: I got another one today and its rough but I'm having fun messing with it since the weather is nice today.

It's a monkey-wards so you know its on the old side and it has a 16hp briggs opposed twin that I doubt will run but I'll try.
The spark plugs were out of it and the cap on the oil was gone as well as the gas cap and the hood was off so I fully expect water to be it the engine.

I can turn the engine by hand but the belt it stuck engaged so I'll have to free that up.

Well the price was right FREE.

If you notice there is a pan undeer it and I drained the oil well most of it was water.:eek:
But I expected that since the oil cap was off and the plugs were out of it and it was uncovered outside for atleast a month but there are still lots of good parts.

The starter is wasted, I have another one frome an 18HP that should work on it if/when I ever want to try and start that engine.

TC you would be proud today I changed a rear end out of a sears ss 12 and then rebuild the carb. I gotta finish cleaning out the gas tank and put some gear oil in

cool

I have a few that I need to break down so my yard isnt so cluttered.

I guess its my turn next to make you proud by putting a functioning computer together from the parts I have and starting up my mini hobby CNC.:smile:

:doah: I brought another one home today, just a sears suburban 12 with a different engine in it that may or may not run but I really just wanted the snow plow that came with it since my dozer blade is a bit rough when it catches an edge.

I look at it as I bought a snow plow and got a parts tractor with it.

My $50 Cub 123

Offset-bored .060 over 13-fin K341 block I'm prepping for the 123. I still have to put the offset guides and big valves in. Ford hypereutectic coated piston, 1/4" longer rod, and stuffs. I'll keep the governor at 3600 and still make pretty good power :)

So here is a picture and as you can see its just a little tractor but it has been fun to work on.
It had an 11HP engine but I havnt been able to get that one to run so I put this 12HP engine on it that runs fine plus it had a seperate choke which I like much better than the combo throttle/choke setup that is so typical on these little tractors.I rigged up a generic automobile hand choke to operate the choke.
I had to use the rear tires off a donor tractor since they actually hold air but I have been shopping around for a full set of snow tires for it.I'll most likely just throw the set of chains I have on it as is and run it this winter.

This beast is next I hope the trans works on it.
Some variable belt drive setup I'm not familar with......yet.
I may put the snow thrower on this one.:lol:
The engine runs but I wanted to change the carb and havnt worked on it much since I focused more on the baby plow tractor.

:mellow: