Success with old junk tractors

Those twin engine like the onan and Kohler when they need to be rebuilt it best to do it before you break a connecting rod, They have a tendency to break the cam when that happens, I know of some Wheelhores tractors that happen in and the cam around 200 bucks the last I new. But they do have preasure lube, so If some has been good with changing the oil and filter as need, they will run a long time before a rebuild.

Hi,

Why didn't you put the blade on the Golf Cart?
Golf cart ? do you mean that green kawasaki mule 2510 4WD ?

I'd like to use that but it cant hardly move in the snow even with the rear axle locked and 4WD is broke I need the front propellor shaft.

Maybe someday I'll have it set to plow but right now money is tight and the tractors are so cheap to get running.
Besides the MULE will need a wide plow around six feet wide and the large tractor plow is only 46-48"'s wide.

OK welll here is a hack repair job on my grill.

These things have a fiberglas grill that hinges with very little fiberglas (like an 1/8" thick) to keep it all together so yeah it was broke.

It feels fairly strong but i'll also put on a cable stop to keep the hood from folding to far forward.
I still have to reattatch to hood to the grill.

I'll repaint when the weather gets a bit warmer.

My goal is to find a ROPER aluminum front grill and dash and polish them up if they'll shine but for now this will have to do.

Not to highjack the post but here are a couple of tractors that I restored/customized.
Homelite before:

Homelite after:

Simplicity before:

Simplicity after:

DAMN nice work dude i dont have any pics of mine but i had some bad a$$ tractors i got 2 left a 67 ford 120 (saving it for a rainy day) and our craftsmen cutting tractor i even got the owners manual for the ford and all the recipts for it as well it has a 12hp kohler on it she is a dimond in the rough lol im gonna start working on it soon im tired of seeing it sit in my shed just rotting

Last edited:
yeah I know these SS tractors can be worth a lot and I plan to restore it to a like new condition over time.
Luckily I have other tractors to use so I could tear the SS down and redo it without any real inconvenience.

Nice work on the tractors SimpleTom.

WOW it took some looking but I found it ....this old thread that is. (sorry) :lol:

Anyway I bought another sears suburban today even though I really really shouldnt have spent the money I just couldnt pass it up.

It is a SS-18/2 with a mower deck in fairly decent overall shape.
He couldnt get it run any longer but I had no problem driving it off my trailer and around my yard when I got it home :biggrin:.

It needs some work but dont they all anyway I now have a SS-18/2 with a 48" mower deck and a 46" snow plow and a SS-16/2 for parts or to part out.

WOW it took some looking but I found it ....this old thread that is. (sorry) :lol:
Anyway I bought another sears suburban today...
No photo?

I wish I had my dad's old tractor, but he sold it along w/his house. Montgomery Ward, made by Husky, 12hp Briggs flattie and hydrostatic drive. He bought it new in about '73 or so. That was a great machine.

I like them. I've been mowing my grass with this '62 R32. It works like a champ! I would like to find a blade for it. My daughter said I look like a dork riding it. It is real small, the rear tires are 4.80-8 :smile:

WOW randy thats a neat old clean tractor.

The sears suburban I got is pretty decent also as far as the original paint goes and being complete.(pics are coming today - I promise)

The thing about the old stuff is it was just made better the SS 16/2 & 18/2 tractors weigh in at around 700lbs so you dont just walk up to them and push them over like you can with the newer ones.There are grease zerks all over it and thats a rare thing on the newer lawn tractors :lol:.

Heres the CL ad for it (My new-old SS 18/2)

I seen this tractor on craigslist and even though the discription had no details I knew right off it was a 16/2 or 18/2 and I wanted the mower deck and for what I paid it would have been a good deal for just the deck but I got a complete tractor for an excellent price.My wife doesnt think its so great but then I didnt think it was so great her not working for the past 20 months.

I like them. I've been mowing my grass with this '62 R32. It works like a champ! I would like to find a blade for it. My daughter said I look like a dork riding it. It is real small, the rear tires are 4.80-8 :smile:
I guess I'll have to get some pics of my Simplicitys and Case 210.. They all need restored but are all great machines.. Sooooooooooooo much better than the MTD friggin things..

Randy, I know a guy with 3 of everything Wheel Horse ever built, WHITE TIRES and all.. :drool: $500 Daytona track side tow vehicle SUPER RARE stuff.. :drool:

He probably has a blade for ya but it's in Michigan.. :doah:

Yeah my old sears aint much but I love it.(DUH dont know why i got stuck on it being an 18/2 its a 18/6 :doah:)

Here are some actual pictures I took of it today after doing a few miner things to it.

I did a sloppy repair to the grill but atleast it shouldnt break any more.
I had to mix and match carb and fuel pump parts but it runs great now.
I took the brake lever rod and the battery from the other one so now I can stop the 700lb beast on a dime when needed and start it without the jump box.

I got the plow off the other one and will take it completely apart, clean it up and paint it bright yellow to get it ready for winter.
I got new tires to put on the front that have a bit more tread since those ribbed airplane tires do nothing in the snow.

Yeah my old sears aint much but I love it.(DUH dont know why i got stuck on it being an 18/2 its a 18/6 :doah:)

Here are some actual pictures I took of it today after doing a few miner things to it.

I did a sloppy repair to the grill but atleast it shouldnt break any more.
I had to mix and match carb and fuel pump parts but it runs great now.
I took the brake lever rod and the battery from the other one so now I can stop the 700lb beast on a dime when needed and start it without the jump box.

I got the plow off the other one and will take it completely apart, clean it up and paint it bright yellow to get it ready for winter.
I got new tires to put on the front that have a bit more tread since those ribbed airplane tires do nothing in the snow.
Yeah those were nice old tractors too.. Is that an Onan in there? Dude I saw one just as clean as that, just about exactly like it, with a deck, blade, and snow blower for $400 at a garage sale.. Already sold.. :glare: Friggin Bob again.. :doah: It ended up going all the way to Grand Rapids to the Meidema auction and brought like 500 before fees... :lol:

Good deal for 500 even though... Damn.. try to get that deal again ya know.. :shrug:

Yep its an Onan 18 hp twin and I got it for a measily $180 with the deck which is in decent/good condition.The other tractor with the plow was given to me free.

I want to mow with it a few times this year to see just how it does and make sure it isnt to big.

I greased it all up but I want to change the oil and air filter asap.

I need a drive belt since this one is starting to come apart a little.

The belt is a bit grabby where its puffed out and I popped the clutch and it pulled the front end off the ground which is amazing seeing how heavy it is.
(I dont like doing that I'm afraid it will drop the trans out)

With all that weight it rides much better than my other regular mower.

Yep its an Onan 18 hp twin and I got it for a measily $180 with the deck which is in decent/good condition.The other tractor with the plow was given to me free.

I want to mow with it a few times this year to see just how it does and make sure it isnt to big.

I greased it all up but I want to change the oil and air filter asap.

I need a drive belt since this one is starting to come apart a little.

The belt is a bit grabby where its puffed out and I popped the clutch and it pulled the front end off the ground which is amazing seeing how heavy it is.
(I dont like doing that I'm afraid it will drop the trans out)

With all that weight it rides much better than my other regular mower.

Hell yes... those huge heavy iron tractors DOMINATE over the new (blow away in the wind) MTD pot metal one speed tranny variable speed belt nightmare junkers ANY friggin day... I think I have like $245 into my

early 70's Simplicity 50-10, that mows sweet with belly blade and dozer blade

early 80's Case 210 that mows and goes sweet (Kohler 10 horse is a smoker) :doah:

And my 80's model Simplicity 42-12 Hydro with two decks.. That one mows sweet and although it's only 42 inch cut, It's the one I use because it's like a Nasscar.. :scooter: The way the shifter is on the seat base hand control.. it does 20 point turn arounds at like 8 miles per hour, cuts wide open in deep grass.. and is 500 speed variable due to the Hydro.. Not made for pulling.. It's my mower..

But a hell of a lot of QUALITY tractor fire power for whatever the job for $245 bucks I figure.. :laugh: