Clutch Toasty

Sounds like a cartoon character but it's not. I toasted my clutch this weekend. Max-Torque 11t Box Stock/Clone clutch I got a couple months ago, brass sleeve shot to shit.......:facepalm:

Pretty sure I know why. I always ride on paved surfaces and twice in the past two weeks I rode on either a gravel roadway or on forest pack (pine needles, rocks, sand at a camp ground) and did not clean or oil the clutch after those dirty runs. I ran the bike at least a dozen times altogether between oiling, did not adjust my clutch maintenance schedule to factor the changed conditions and here you see the results. :censure:

While I very meticulously oil my clutches (I even bought this cute oiler!) I did not specifically oil or clean the clutch after these dirty runs and that being the only variable in my routine. I also don't have a clutch cover. So, unless I'm missing something else, it would seem the lesson here is if you drive through sand and dirt YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY CLEAN AND OIL YOUR CLUTCH immediately thereafter. I'm just not riding on that shit anymore.

Meantime, new clutch sprocket on the way!

Regular motor oil (or any oil) is no good for lubing a centrifugal clutch like that. Use graphite or one of those spray dry lubes even. Oil is better than nothing, but it burns right out of the sleeve in minutes.

Oops! Wrong bike! Yes it is a Bad Dog Gigantic Balloon Tire Minibike, and yes it came set up with that disc brake. Works good too. It has a TAV and it's fine, just got in my shot of the oil can:doah: It was the clutch on THIS minibike:

Jdogg, don't cry for me, I have three minibikes and a spare 12t Comet clutch with a silver spring in it in case I get the jumps before the mail comes tomorrow:wink:

Flat Head Phil, that's a very interesting statement because all the directions everywhere I've read say use motor oil. Not disputing you, sounds like you're on to something and it's news to me. I might have held off on the major purchase of that cute oil can:laugh:

Regular motor oil (or any oil) is no good for lubing a centrifugal clutch like that. Use graphite or one of those spray dry lubes even. Oil is better than nothing, but it burns right out of the sleeve in minutes.
Incorrect information:no: and contradicts what Max Torque specifically recommends for their clutches. I have used 30wt for decades (yeah, I'm an old timer), w/o any problems whatsoever.
Michael

In regard to those sintered bronze bushings, if you have the occasion to have a new one, rest one open end of the little bugger on your thumb and fill it with ATF. Then put your index finger of the same hand on the top open end and then squeeze as hard as you can for a few seconds.

The bushing will sweat ATF.