First Rupp Roadster 2 questions

Hi all! I have been eyeing Rupps for several years and finally pulled the trigger on one locally. It is a Rupp Roadster 2. I got it home yesterday and started it up for a short ride. I know I have some work to do to it but so far I am pleased. The brakes make a horrible sound when applied and headlights and horn do not work. there is probably a short in it somewhere and I think the horn is broken. Where can I find replacement brake shoes and a horn? I looked in the tank and it looks kind of rusty. This is my first bike of any kind so I am not sure how to proceed. Drain the tank and then apply some chemical of some sorts to neutralize the rust? I am unsure if I want to restore it all the way or just clean the bike up. Also, how do I tell when this Rupp was made? Decipher the serial number on the engine? the sticker is pretty much gone. Any opinions? Thanks!

Jim IMG_2063.jpg IMG_2062.JPG

1971..but it looks like the original color was green and it was re-painted. HS40 4HP Tec motor....and you don't have a horn on the bike. As far as wiring issues..nothing beats a good old fashion test light. As far as the brakes...80 grit on the shoes and inside the drums normally knock the glaze off and gets rid of that noise. Looks like a good start and everything is there.

1971..but it looks like the original color was green and it was re-painted. HS40 4HP Tec motor....and you don't have a horn on the bike. As far as wiring issues..nothing beats a good old fashion test light. As far as the brakes...80 grit on the shoes and inside the drums normally knock the glaze off and gets rid of that noise. Looks like a good start and everything is there.

Good to know. So the HS40 4HP Tecumseh motor tells its 1971? I thought they used that motor for other years as well. The previous owner put a horn on it then. What are the switches and buttons on the left handle bar for? I figured out the silver one is the kill switch but what about the lever and the black button on top? Turn signals and headlight I am assuming? If the shoes are worn out, where can I get replacements?
Since it may have been repainted, it might make the decision to fully restore a little easier. I just noticed the headlight/tail light doesn't work, either.

Good to know. So the HS40 4HP Tecumseh motor tells its 1971? I thought they used that motor for other years as well. The previous owner put a horn on it then. What are the switches and buttons on the left handle bar for? I figured out the silver one is the kill switch but what about the lever and the black button on top? Turn signals and headlight I am assuming? If the shoes are worn out, where can I get replacements?
Since it may have been repainted, it might make the decision to fully restore a little easier. I just noticed the headlight/tail light doesn't work, either.
Yes the motor ID says 71...and the fact the frame and tank are same color...also means 71. 1970 had external fork springs and slightly shorter frame and a few other differences. In 72 they started making all the frames black and the tins were painted whatever color. As far as parts.....try this link...http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/. They have many things for Rupps as far as replacement parts. And the electrical...you will have to start from the motor connection and see where you lose power or ground. Tough to explain since I am more hands on and less talk..lol.

minibikefever

as far as the rust in the tank there's a product called POR 15 it's an inexpensive tank sealer that works well and leaves the inside of the tank looking almost new, you can buy the kit with the tank cleaner and the sealer, I just buy the sealer and use apple cider vinegar to clean the tank and rinse well with hot soapy water followed by clean water thoroughly dry and then seal it .

GustoGuy

as far as the rust in the tank there's a product called POR 15 it's an inexpensive tank sealer that works well and leaves the inside of the tank looking almost new, you can buy the kit with the tank cleaner and the sealer, I just buy the sealer and use apple cider vinegar to clean the tank and rinse well with hot soapy water followed by clean water thoroughly dry and then seal it .
I used Evaporust and roofing nails to clean my gas tank. The mechanical action of shaking the tank around with the roofing nails in it along with the Evaporust really clears out the rust fast. Once clean I sealed the Tank with Red Kote sealer and it looks like new on the inside other than having a red tint.

I used Evaporust and roofing nails to clean my gas tank. The mechanical action of shaking the tank around with the roofing nails in it along with the Evaporust really clears out the rust fast. Once clean I sealed the Tank with Red Kote sealer and it looks like new on the inside other than having a red tint.

I will give that a try! Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas!