Veterans Day thoughts

Once again I want to share some of my thoughts on tomorrow being Veterans Day. I did post this on my FB page also.
We sat in church this past 4th of July and one of the songs chosen was "America the beautiful". When the congregation started singing it, I am not ashamed to say that it gave me a lump in my throat and I struggled to continue singing. Every time I hear the words in that song, I can not help but picture a troop ship pulling out of port, or an airplane loaded with service people heading to a war zone. I often wonder what has or is going through the minds of the men and women who serve as they leave their homeland. The words "amber waves of grain, "spacious skies", "purple mountain majesty" and "above the fruited plain" may mean something to so many leaving our free land "till all success be nobleness, and every gain divine".
Of all the men and women who have left these shores over time and with each knowing there are no guarantees of returning, we should be so thankful of what we have and for what each service man and woman gave to us.

Oh beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self, their country loved
And mercy more than life

I hope we all can take time tomorrow to reflect on what has been given to us by so many.

With a son. son in-law and nephew in the U.S. Marines and my Dad,. a veteran of the Korean conflict I am sure they would
be appreciative of your words. Thank you.
God bless our veterans and the U.S.A.

toomanytoys

People have certainly lost site of what it is has taken to build this country and keep it and others safe from oppression.

Two great uncles in Vietnam. Great uncle in Korea. Great grandfather in ww2 (pacific)

My grandfather served in the navy between Korea and Vietnam wars.

Wow is all I can say. Byron , you put a tear in my eye. Beautiful message and I wish more people would think like you. Thank you for the people who have served