212cc Stage 1 with stock muffler is ok?

hopefully my last question before I finally buy something.

Basically all I want is a 212 with good acceleration from a stop. A torque converter will help a bit, and stage 1 should also but not much.

I'm considering a $1,000 gopowersports complete mega moto with stage 1 tillotson 212. A 212 tillotson can handle stage 1 without having to upgrade the flywheel billet etc otherwise like the 212 predator a stage 1 is useless unless remove the governor but then have to upgrade flywheel billet etc or it'll likely break.

I don't want fast top speed at all really but want good acceleration for woods trails.
For woods I'd like it loud and use the stage 1 open header. But for side streets, would it cause an engine problem to put the stock tillotson exhaust muffler back on it or would it restrict flow and should have to change out the stage 1 jet and air filter also to stock?

Or I might just buy a used coleman or something with likely a 212 coleman/predator and put a 30 series torque converter on it and hope the previous owner didn't remove the governor and be riding a ticking time bomb, but will ask them about that and open to confirm if I do buy used. thanks

desert rat

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fire/spark_arrester_guides/_assets/2012_GP.pdf

It's a big ticket.

Mufflers—Experience and tests have shown that mufflers, in general, are inadequate as spark arresters. Few muffler devices submitted for formal tests meet the requirements of Forest Service Standard 5100-1c or SAE J350. However, properly maintained baffled mufflers constructed to automotive industry standards, and installed on motor vehicles other than motorcycles are accepted for “onhighway” and “off-road” use in some jurisdictions. Exceptions are for designated areas where a spark arrester is required on cross-country vehicles. Straight-through mufflers, such as glass-pack designs without baffles, are not acceptable. Consult your agency’s policy for more specific guidelines.

Last edited:

SAS289

What you are asking is something you can test out and learn once you get the bike. Making changes and seeing the results is one of the fun things about this hobby in my opinion. Stage 1 stuff is all easy external engine changes that can easily be reversed.

panchothedog

Running straight open pie is not a good idea in the woods, or anywhere else.
It's a fire danger and even though these engines are small displacement, they are loud as all hell completely unmuffled. You will quickly become quite unpopular that way. Any muffler will help somewhat with both issues. If you are going to put the stock exaust system back on, save your money and don't bother with the stage one stuff. You kinda need to use the whole package ( intake and exhaust ) together to get any real benefit.

I just bought a used Coleman BT200x and CT200u-ex. They're very unbalanced I think from the fat tires but I do like the fat tires for trails and maybe they'll run decently in snow, slowly of course, not trying to slide out or anything.

These 2 are stock pretty sure both have clutches and gov intact because it doesn't top out very fast and feels like the clutch or something kicks in and can hear/feel it sorta give up at some point. As much as I don't want fast top speed I feel these are a bit too slow when maxed out.
Surprisingly though the stock clutch has more pick up than I expected, it'll wheelie if you let it. I think with a TC it'll have even more pickup.

True, having fast pickup for a bear would trigger its chase instinct but the loudness might scare it away if using an open header with spark arrestor for woods, sorta like if you spread your arms out to show how big you can be it sometimes scares them away but once they chase if you run that's it.

I feel a fire extinguisher even a small Element brand one is a must for woods riding esp when dry. I took it off road a bit in tall grass and had to go back several times while riding the road to make sure a fire wasn't started.

I really don't like the pegs in the front like these colemans, dunno why they'd design that, maybe engine/clutch fit.
Go Power Sports mega moto 212 kit with tillitson 212 and stage 1 they said the gov IS removed and it's ready to rip and they sell a lot of them but very rarely have any issues with it blowing up or anything. I would think the engine is new in a box unopened so IDK how the gov is already removed but ok. I might get that one after selling these two colemans. Yes would be loud but hopefully on side streets people don't get mad because I want to ride in trails also with a spark arrestor and/or RLV muffler to be safe against spark flying out. Where I rode them more in the country side of NJ, people were actually waving a smiling at me not getting angry but I'll be using in more suburban area but really if I want any higher top speed or power then the header should be open so it is what it is.

I'm used to riding a bicycle and these fat tires are was less balanced etc but I still also might get a gas moped 50cc regardless of low speed and pickup (maybe can upgrade the engine to something a bit bigger and get away with it), just to legally and quietly ride it on any roads under ~30 MPH. I just hope I don't get bit by the motorcycle bug because even bicycle I'm worried about riding near cars etc and people get hit all the time it's not worth the risk to me but maybe it's juts a phase or I'll be satisfied enough w just a slow legal moped to take for a safe spin now and then on side streets away from traffic and places with no shoulder etc is what irks me.

after first day with bikes, I realize I don't really like riding on the streets too much. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. With a bicycle even if I'm going almost as fast as the min bike I can usually hear any cars behind or sort of coming up in intersections but even the stock muffler all you hear is the mini bike so I'm constantly looking around making sure I'm not going into car's lane or anything.
Trails were so fun though.
Pegs in the front suck because I can't even stand up it's so unbalanced.
Going to put some work into these used ones and sell for a new 212 mega moto with stage 1 tillitson and open header of course but with RLV and spark arrestor screens. thanks for all your input take care.

toomanytoys

The leg position isn’t conducive to standing up. I’ve gotten to where I can stand up on my ct200u but it feels off. I’ve always wanted to move the pegs back a bit. One day!