Search results

1. CycleTruck

Hiawatha / Western Flyer Doodle Bug w/ Side Car Project

vette66_00 Thank you sir! OK, no responses and I still have no idea how much this thing is worth ... new price - $1400 OBO. OBO means "Or Best Offer." Hint for potential hagglers - When you see OBO, don't offer the asking price! :thumbsup:
  2. CycleTruck

I'm serious in saying "Let's start the haggling" meaning, negotiation. I have no idea what the thing is worth and the rules state to list a price, so I listed a price. Again, I am open to negotiating, I just don't want to be ripped off. Smallbikes88, may I suggest a remedial course in reading...
  3. CycleTruck

I have to give this project up. includes, the frame for the scooter & side car, de-rusted and painted rear wheel and hub assembly, new slick & tube, larger sprocket for #41 chain, also the original sprocket, rear axle and clip (not shown), the front fork and fender, and miscellaneous parts (not...
  4. CycleTruck

Hiawatha / Western Flyer Doodle Bug w/ Side Car

Make an offer. I still own it and I have no problems canceling the bids & auction. Some jerk already wants me to break it up for him and I'd rather someone complete it, side car and all. When I say "make an offer" I mean it. Please don't ask me what I want for it. If someone here really wants...
  5. CycleTruck

Due to financial circumstances beyond my control, I had to list this project on eBay. Hope someone ends up with it that will finish it! End of log.
  6. CycleTruck

Sandblasting, $40.00 ... Wire brush wheel, $4.00 ... the satisfaction of doing it myself? Priceless! It has a side car, so it's not going to turn well anyway. Why did I touch up the factory welds? Because Stock Sucks! ... and I'm building this for me. :smile: I'm still searching for a BIG...
  7. CycleTruck

Thanks guys! Here's the rebuilt rear wheel assembly with my modified number 40 sprocket and a brand new tire & tube: Before: Now: I'm not up for attacking the side car tonight. Probably Saturday. ~ Dave
  8. CycleTruck

Sitting on the saw horse on the left, there is a grinder. I installed a wire brush wheel on it and took the rust off with that. The side car frame is next; maybe Wednesday night. I used electrolysis and then steel wool on the smaller parts. Also done on Saturday; I'm putting the original...
  9. CycleTruck

Today I stripped the frame of all extra components, ground off all the the extra welds, smoothed out the less than great factory welds, and then spent about an hour with a wire brush wheel on a grinder removing most of the rusty scale. The rest in the tight spots will have to be done by hand...
  10. CycleTruck

Most of the tire and tube crumbled in my hands while removing it. I'm not sure what the band is lined with. It's looks like some sort of fiber. I'll definitely keep y'all posted here. This project log is a great idea for a message board! I'm going to do my best to git' her runnin' under her...
  11. CycleTruck

This is the start of the project. This scooter is rumored to once belong to the Zem Zem Shriners in Erie, PA and was allegedly used in parades. I'm trying to confirm this. Here she is, as picked up: I've started removing the rust by electrolysis and painting parts.
  12. CycleTruck

Hiawatha Doodle Bug Questions

Yes, I do. I'll be posting them in the project log section. ~ Dave
  13. CycleTruck

Wow. I think that I'm just going to make this a runner while I'm collecting the correct parts. I don't want to wait to use it. Thanks!
  14. CycleTruck

What keeps the rear wheel centered? Does anyone have some closeup photos that would show the assembly? I'd also like to see the brake and throttle linkage setup. Thanks in advance! ~ Dave
  15. CycleTruck

WTB 1946-48 Doodlebug Front Hub

Yes, I did. I'm looking for a deal on a used one. Thanks.
  16. CycleTruck

Howdy. My first ever minibike.

Holly smokes! That Doodle Bug referenced by smallbikes88 went for $455! Point well taken and I'll be this bikes keeper for as long as I can. Thank you again! ~ Dave
  17. CycleTruck

WTB 1946-48 Doodlebug Front Hub

Please contact me. ~ Dave 814-414-0270
  18. CycleTruck

Wow, thanks y'all for the ID and input! I never would have known what a special rig this is. I only took it on because of how unusual it looked to me. Tonight will begin it's resurrection starting with disassemble, clean and de-rust using electrolysis. Also, the search for parts and an engine...
  19. CycleTruck

Howdy y'all, This is my graduation from Schwinn bicyles to my first ever minibike. It's an old Western Flyer that belonged to the Zem Zem Shriners of Erie, PA. I just picked it up today. Should be a fun project! ~ Dave