Search results

1. 9

Piston/Rings Q's??

id check the bore with a dial guage for out of round and taper just to make sure you dont need to bore it, if its good id say give it a good hone, and order a raptor 3 piston with rings and the matching wristpin. aps karting has all those parts. the stock bore piston with rings is like 45 and...
  2. 9

backfire questions?

tore the side cover off lastnight. cam and crank are lined up perfect. im thinking it might be a combo of like month old gas and its only 87 octane so it might be pre igniting occasionally. im gonna try and scrounge up some change to go get a gallon of 93 from sunoco, i hate getting paid by...
  3. 9

backfire questions?

nope its got a coil, no points. valves are lapped in and valve lash is set at .005 on both valves, the cam sheet said to set at .005 and my dads friend who has two built motors has played around with his lashes before and the set up hes runnin now is .0048 on intake and .0051 on exhaust yes he...
  4. 9

backfire questions?

that would be fine powerwise, it would just be for break in cuz the motor is pretty tight right now to begin with
  5. 9

backfire questions?

so retarding it would help get it started a little easier?
  6. 9

backfire questions?

hey guys im building a 5 hp flat head. ive got it all together, arc billet rod, comp camps billet lifters and stock wide range cam, little port work and a hl 129 tilly (vertually the same carb as a 357a only with a choke) now ive got the upgraded pullstart the cup style. the motor is very tight...
  7. 9

valve spring questions?

im just gonna try stock springs for now as this winter isnt turning out as good as i thought and the pond im going to race on is in perfect shape right now. once spring comes ill tear it back apart and have spring pockets cut. might go .30 over then too. this motor might get switched over to a...
  8. 9

valve spring questions?

the sheet said .005 thousanths for lash on both intake and exhaust, dropped everything in and a .005 feeler was just about perfect, minimal resistance when pulled out.... i might try and get my engines professor to take a look at it once college goes back, just went to my pond today and its...
  9. 9

valve spring questions?

there stock length billets from comp cams as well
  10. 9

valve spring questions?

this is the exact cam i got, GoParts: Mr. Velocity Cam: Wide Range Cam *Includes Springs and heres the specs http://www.compgoparts.com/camspecs/gp181.html its only a .231 lift on both intake and exhaust
  11. 9

valve spring questions?

they coil bind bad, you cant even get the motor to spin over, stops dead in its tracks, and im not using upper spring retainers. i might give comp a call today theres nothing on there site about a different style spring. so a call is needed i guess.
  12. 9

valve spring questions?

so how about this for a question, are there any stiffer springs out there that i can use without cutting pockets? i would really like to not have to tear the motor all back down and have machine work done again if i dont have to. and im pretty sure the stock springs alltho they feel rather stiff...
  13. 9

valve spring questions?

its not that big of a cam tho.... .232 if i recall correctly
  14. 9

Billet Rod Installation Questions

its 170 in/lbs if put together with oil. 150 in/lbs if you use moly lube. and there should be a dot on the rod and cap that line up when put together right, you have those facing you when you put the rod in. i only know cuz i did it the other day right how the install manual says to
  15. 9

valve spring questions?

hey guys i ordered a comp cams stock wide range cam kit for my late 80's early 90s (forget the exact year off the top of my head) 5 hp briggs i/c motor. now the stock exhaust spring looks kind of similar except the comp spring is about a coil and a half longer which coil binds bad with the new...