Search results

1. S

Electronic Rev Limiting?

Does there exist an electronic rev limiter that can be set by the user? Something simple that maybe just cuts spark at a set rpm? The Briggs Animal for instance has a rev limiting coil. I'd be interested in a predator coil that did the same or a separate unit that runs in series with the coil...
  2. S

Predator hemi 212 valve springs

If you want to use retainer with split keepers, you will need valves designed for them. Split keepers don't work with the stock valves. And stock lash caps don't work with the split keepers, so you'll need to buy them as well - or run without.
  3. S

Crankshaft holder

Nice! Now replace that 5/16-24 bolt with a welded stud and make it easier to install. Also no parts to get separated and lost.
  4. S

Crankshaft holder

I have no intentions of making one of this design, so feel free to use as you see fit. Just check the offset on the keyway to make sure the bolt will engage. Good luck!
  5. S

Crankshaft holder

What about drilling a 13/16" hole in the 1/4 steel bar and welding it behind the collar? My Hemi had the keyway to within .30" of the case, so bolt would still engage the keyway. And no bending, plus you have more weld area.
  6. S

Crankshaft holder

Made one in a different style. Just need to drill a 3/4" hole and weld two tabs on. Tips: Go bigger on the hole and don't weld right up to the hole. I had to file the weld away to make it fit. Otherwise works great.
  7. S

Head porting and polishing

Trinik, Can you explain when efforts might be counter productive? I'm new to the whole 'building' thing. I ported and polished my Hemi head (yup some dude with a grinder) and tried to minimize the material removed. Mostly just smoothing out any sharp edges and tapering everything else for...
  8. S

Cam, Timing, and Rocker Ratio for Low RPM torque build HEMI mud motor

Header done... Got the exhaust header finished. I installed it on my non-hemi motor since that is on my mud motor and running. Sounds sweet. Sounds a lot like the Ducati 748 I used to own. Very mellow at idle, nice quiet but authoritative growl at higher rpms. I first ran it without a...
  9. S

Almost ready to fire it up! Got the flange on the header cut, shaped and welded. My TIG welder is a scratch start, no foot pedal so welds suck. I made the header tubing from 3/4 EMT conduit. Took three attempts to get the bends correct. From what I read, long and skinny will help low end...
  10. S

What's the Max cylinder pressure a Hemi Predator can handle?

Stock bolts are steel, grade 10.9 steel. What grade bolts did you buy at Tractor Supply? Unless you bought grade 12.9 bolts, you have not upgraded anything.
  11. S

Gonna try and keep it around 6k rpm cruising speed. My build is prob gonna be good for 8k. I wish there were an electronic governor for these motors. Something that monitors rpm and cuts spark above a certain pre-setable rpm. I've looked at rev limiters but they don't work for our magneto...
  12. S

More progress... I finished the Mikuni VM22 carb adaptor. I wanted to keep it short to keep the carb out of my way and I read (believe everything on internet?) that a longer runner promotes velocity which in turn is good for high RPM. So shorter logically would be better for lower RPM...
  13. S

Valves... New stainless valves are on order. Supposed to flow better, be lighter, and use the split keepers and aluminum retainer. Figured out the + 0.050" does not "open more" but rather allows the valve to open more before the spring reaches full stack height IF you have a very large...
  14. S

School me on valves I picked up split keepers intending to install them with the stock valves. These will not work together. So either I run with the stock retainers and eat the $20 cost of the split keepers and aluminum retainers, or I buy aftermarket stainless valves for an additional $40...
  15. S

Timing Well my eBay timing light arrived. Hooked it up and spun the motor with a cordless drill.....nothing. Dead. Ugh. So I bought another one through Craigslist. Guy demonstrated that it worked on his car. (my car is a Subaru with no access to the plug wires). Anyway get it home and no...
  16. S

Predator non-hemi Carb Help

Wow, that bike is sweet. Tell us more about it! Is it a full custom build? Is it 100 years old? Looks like it. Can it be made street legal? What kind of speeds are you getting out of it? Awesome. Just awesome....
  17. S

Motor Blew Up!

So what do we think was the root cause of this failure? HP is HP, does not matter if you are turning a prop or a TAV or a sprocket. There are lots of karters out there running higher output motors than yours at full throttle for most of their races. Do you think the case had a flaw that the...
  18. S

More work... Got some go fast parts from Small Engine Cams. Got the governor out, the oil sensor out, plugged the governor hole (1/4-20) and the oil sensor cable hole (7/16-20). Replaced the rod with the ARC billet, and the cam with the Black Mamba Jr. Buttoned up the case with a new...
  19. S

Good eye. Yeah, that is a bone stock non-hemi I picked up 3 years ago when I built my longtail mud motor. I bought a Hemi version on Monday for this build so I can still use the mud-motor for October duck season if I don't get the Hemi done in time.
  20. S

Got more porting done. I think I am finished with the exhaust, but may go back and smooth out the intake guide wedge area. I used my Dremel tool with flex extension using carbide burrs, small grindstones, home made sanding cones and felt with clay rouge. For the cones, I cut sandpaper in a...