1969 Rupp Roadster

Since my project has reached a major milestone, I figured it was time to post a build thread. And my apologies, but much of this will be a 'rerun' for those of you who saw my intro thread.

So to summarize, I've had this bike for roughly 15 years, getting it somewhere around 2000 or so. It was given to me by one of my uncles, who had found it (and a couple other bikes) at the curb. I really didn't know anything about it, but knew that it was pretty cool, despite it being in horrible shape.

As it had no engine & was missing various other parts, I was in no position to resurrect the thing at the time. However, I kept it around, so it kicked around my parents garage / yard until I moved, at which time it was moved underneath a bench in my garage. So basically, it sat until 2015, when one of my brothers encountered it in my garage. He was very interested in the thing & offered to do the work if I would buy the parts.

Sadly, while I did have it for a good many years, I never took a pic in its "as is" state. :( So, here are a few pics of it disassembled, before we stripped the paint:

The seat's base was very rotten:

Most of the parts had red or black paint on them & I was hopeful that the brightwork would have been preserved:

*sigh*...not so much. At this stage, I was thinking of putting a predator on the thing & actually bought one. But then I started seeing how awesome the thing looked from the factory...and thus started the slippery slope.

So, the idea at first was strip the paint, polish up what I can, rattle can the rest, and get a good engine on it. I actually first considered putting one of the engines I had saved from my days of repairing mowers (which had ended around 2001). So, I dusted off my old stock, which quickly reminded me that two of these were booted out of my parents' garage and left outside for a rather significant period of time:

-3HP Tecumseh: This engine was from a snowblower I nearly lost a finger to (Note: clear chute AFTER shutting off engine). In any event, it was seized. Managed to free it up, but the cylinder walls are discolored & it needs a new valve, carb, and multiple other things. Decided to put this one back on the shelf.

-3.5HP Briggs: I had put this one on my ruttman years ago, but never finished setting it up. Pulled off the air filter cover and a bunch of earwigs came out. Tank & crankcase were FILLED with rusty water. Seized VERY badly. Scrap pile for this one.

-3HP Briggs: this one actually was left in the garage and was very lightly seized. Things looked good until I noticed the carb was loose...when it was tightened fully. Drat - a piece of the block was broken off. Back to the shelf.

Around this point I picked up the predator, and quickly realized it'd look wrong on the machine and would probably turn it into a wheelie monster. So I picked up a snowblower engine and added a recoil from an older model:

Yep, I wanted to put a Briggs on this. This led to the beautiful task of finding a carb setup that would work with my older-style Briggs. I'm not going to go into this one, because it was annoying and wasted $$. While figuring this out, it was time to get some progress elsewhere. All the parts were finally stripped & refinished, using my amazing, not ghetto-at-all painting station:

At some point here, an OldMiniBikes member was selling a 1969 Briggs that was mildly hopped up & set up for a Mikuni. Perfect! Verified it had the mounting holes on the back of the engine & picked it up:

And installed it!

It kicked around like this for a month or two (because o' the holidays), but just the other day...
https://youtu.be/OJYk76zsBNc

:smile: :scooter:

-Rob

Last edited:
At this point, it's just needing to have the bugs worked out of it & I'll be pretty happy. Oh, and I need to install the sidepipe...and the 2 speed jackshaft...lol, it never ends.

Overall, it was a fun project, but I have had a few lessons learned, the biggest being to decide what exactly I intend to do with it & stick with a plan. Really shouldn't have purchased 3 engines before I figured out what I really wanted. Looking forward to seeing my brothers enjoying this one!

-Rob

Last edited: