1971 Kawasaki Mt1

Found this 1971 Kawasaki MT1 "Parnelli Jones" at a antique shop today after meeting up with another mini bike friend to sell my scat tracker trike. Watch out Antiques road show, here comes mini bikes haha IMG_20180120_144340_500.jpg IMG_20180120_144407_829.jpg

Last edited:

Divouneh

Very interesting, street legal and mainly complete: good catch [emoji106][emoji6][emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

Score! Those bikes are a blast and super reliable. Tank looks good from here too, they are notoriously rotten around the bottom. :thumbsup:

Gatecrasher

Very interesting, street legal and mainly complete: good catch [emoji106][emoji6][emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes
It's a nice bike but just because it has an old license plate on the back doesn't mean it's "street legal" - especially in the Keystone State.

If you notice on the frame there is a decal that reads:

s-l1600 (24).jpg

These bikes also didn't come with titles in 1971.

That doesn't mean you can't make one street legal if you really wanted to but it requires some modifications and getting a reconstructed title.

Here's a list of what you would need to add to this bike to make it technically street legal:
  • Brake light switch
  • Turn signals
  • Speedometer
  • Horn

Kawasaki manufactured the MT1/KV75 from 1971 to 1980 and did produce some street-legal versions for sale overseas and even a limited amount for sale in the USA but they were only offered during the final two years of production 1979-80. The models designed to be street legal came with titles and had batteries too. The off-road versions only have magnetos with lighting coils.

The 1971 bike you have here is the most-desirable of all the years because it was the original Parnelli Jones "Dynamite". Definitely the coolest-looking model year with several one-year only features that the subsequent years did not have.

On top of that, this bike has the early style front forks as pictured in the early ad flyer.

02s.jpg

There were two front fork styles used in 1971. Both had the external chrome springs and lower chrome legs except the early models (like this one) had longer chrome legs.

Kawasaki changed the length of the chrome legs halfway through the production year because of complaints that the longer legs bent too easy. The outer steel tube length was increased and they relocated the chrome springs lower down in order to beef the forks up.

IMG_3361s.jpg

I personally prefer the look of the early style forks like OP has and am building one like it now too.