1971 Speedway Silver Shadow - Lighted $4,500

Danh

Details

Bought from a salvage yard without an engine in 2004. About 10 years ago I acquired a professionally rebuilt Sachs 125 engine. The engine is still “as rebuilt” and has not been run. The carburetor needs a cleaning or rebuild before starting. This bike was not ridden much as there is little to no wear on the foot pegs or rear sprocket.

Not original to this bike: Engine, carburetor, rear engine mount and exhaust. The exhaust was purchased as new old stock. I carefully fabricated the rear motor mount and it could be chromed very nicely with a little clean up. The engine turns over smoothly with strong compression and the gears shift nicely. These engines are getting harder to find, especially without mangled cases from thrown chains.

What it needs: Air cleaner and hose, exhaust adapter, drive chain, carburetor tickler, clutch cable and lever, rubber for shifter and kick starter, new spark plug, spark plug wire and throttle cable. I may have missed a thing or two, please use the pictures as a guide. The magneto and points plate need to be installed, so it needs a woodruff key and the screws. The kick starter looks to have been repaired with a weld.

I’ll work with the new owner on any details I can relay as I’d like to see this rare and fabulous minibike get the restoration it deserves. Sadly, I’ll probably never get to experience the thrill of riding it, but I certainly hope the new owner does.

I’ll crate it and band it to a pallet for shipping if the buyer pays for materials and shipping from Austin, TX.

Please look closely at the pictures and ask any questions you may have. You can PM me for more pictures and my phone number.

Thanks,

Dan

Danh

I'm getting a fair number of views here, but so far, no solid inquiries for purchase. I'll drop the price to $4,200 and will help with packing if the buyer pays shipping. Or pick up in Austin, TX.

I think this is a fair price, especially with the professionally rebuilt Sachs 125 with undamaged crank case and chain cover. These engines are getting rare and expensive as well. Silver Shadows are very rare and there may be far fewer of them available in the future. Restored, these sell for much more than my asking price. So, if you'd like to add a Silver Shadow to your collection, you may want to grab this one as you may not have another chance to get one at an unrestored price.

If it doesn't sell here soon, I will be listing it on eBay in a couple of days.

Thank you to the guys who have contacted me with their generous offers for Silver Shadow parts - what a great community on OldMiniBikes!

Note also, this is the Lighted Model which is even more rare.

Danh

Trying to avoid putting this on eBay, I'll drop the price to $3,900. Something I hadn't mentioned before, I have planned to include two Sachs engine manuals and a Sachs Owners Manual. Plus an original parts list for the Silver Shadow. I sure hope someone here becomes the proud owner of this cool bike.

IMG_1237.JPG As much as I would love to own a Silver Shadow, I can't justify the kind of cash they command. Good luck with your sale, I hope you get what you want for it.

Last edited:

Danh

Thanks, Fantic Freddy! Yes, they are in a different price range from most. I was lucky to acquire some of the needed parts from other members here, so the bike is close to complete now - thank you OldMiniBikes guys! Crossing my fingers on the auction.