1981 Sears Puddle Jumper - AKA "TETANUS 2.0"

This is my 1981 Sears Puddle Jumper I picked up about 6 months ago or so. I built for the Mini bike dirt track racing. Recently upgraded to the current 2.0 version. Some of the purest will probably not enjoy as much ( But I can still go back original if ever decide to. Recent up graded version includes - New 3" extended CRF triple tree forks and suspension, extended rear swing 4 inches, new rear stiffer adjustable CT70 suspension. New Low rise MX handle Bars to help move body weight forward. Sporting a mild 212cc predator motor with Mikuni 22mm carb and curved intake, header, BSP3 cam, 10.8 trick springs, removed governor and tapped governor hole pressure relief oil catch can, racing spark plug, comet 30 series torque converter with aluminum spring weight, 3200 rpm engagement springs, stiffer yellow torque converter spring, Foot brake, Sedona MXT887 knobby tires, 54 tooth sprocket. I have GPS'd this bike at 62mph and still wheelies uncontrollably if not careful. Pic on left is current Tetanus 2.0m pic in the middle was previous Tetanus 1.0 version and pic on right is when I first got it about 6 months ago and paid $ 125.00 for and drove 2 hours each way to get.

Attachments

Thanks RobertC and Steve 73. Definitely best few hundred bucks ever spent. This is by far my funnest and favorite mini. I own. The induced Rust is sealed and preserved using Penetrol. Was by far the easiest paint job I have ever done, I'm not sure I will ever paint anything again. Just going to force rust everything.lol

Ended up getting Tetanus 2.0 finished up just in time to take 2nd place at the Gruene Harley Davidson Rat Rod Build off mini bike races in New Braunfels Texas.

Added a new real rust covered clutch cover and real rust covered flywheel cover and pull start versus the faux painted ones previously installed.

Needs to be re-geared lower for our type of dirt track racing. Was really surprise to still pull off a 2nd with the higher gearing I was running at 7 to 1 and switching back to a jackshaft and clutch system versus the torque converter system I was running.

Going to try a 10 to 1 ratio or 11 to 1 ratio before deciding on gong back to Torque Converter or not.

Also going back to the stock puddle jumper bars as these were busting my knees like I was on a clown bike.

Attachments

Last edited:
How do you like the BSP3 cam?
Danford1
So far its been great for a cheater cam. It was cheap and easy to install. Next motor will have much more cam though, with stainless valves and automotive style retainers and keepers with a 14cc GX160 head and roller rockers and flat slide carb.