2 speed question

Kenny1

I have the same kit and the bearings are also wrong. Doesn't matter cause they are junk anyway. Toss them out and get a good set. Once you get the mounts welded on then you will know where to put the space if you need to use it. I would say if you can put the mounts close enough that you dont need to use the space that would be ideal.

So you need a longer shaft? The thing dropped in my sears bike but yes the shaft is short for other bikes. Hent had a pic of a collar in his photo's I think for his boonie.

You could get a longer J shaft then cut slits in it for the clips.

Ok thanks. I thought maybe i got the wrong ones shipped.
I was thinking of sending an email. did you try and fix it? By getting the right sized ones shipped to you.
Also yes i do need a longer shaft. Do you guys think i could get one from ace. Id suppose not but thought id ask.
Also could you do a picture on paint of where the bearings go. Or just Explain in detail.
Thanks a bunch:smile:

Kenny1

I never contacted them about the bearings because I knew I wasn't going to use them when I ordered the kit. The bearings go against the inside of the mounts. The sprockets and or spacers go against the bearings to hold them in place.

Pillow blocks will work if you arent able to weld mounts on the frame but they are bulky. Standard 5/8" wheel bearings are all you would need to use the mounts that came with the jackshaft.

That's a sweet deal on the two speed & clutch for only $99.00... I thought I was getting a good deal just finding the two speed shaft (NOS) for about 42.00 inc shipping, but that still leaves me short of the unique clutch that costs 70.00 or so.

Good find.

Not so sure there would be a valid reason for running a TAV plus the two speed unit.
There is already plenty of reduction in the TAV, anymore would be un-necessary IMO.

Great site over here btw... I'm really enjoying myself thus far.

mardyn

Hey guys.
Thanks for all the great links. Do you think standard duty pillow block bearings will be able
to be put on the inside of the sprockets and clutches?
GTO i do not weld but have 2 Uncles that do.
i figured this would be easier to put on/remove and i would be able to adjust my final drive chain then.
i guess Ive answered some of my own questions.
Thanks a bunch:thumbsup:

Oh ya forgot to add its going on what i belive is a cat 300.
If i could mount the bearings on the inside i think i could use the shaft i have now.
Sorry for the double post.
Thanks

You can use all kinds of styles but for the Cat I would use the engine mount style which can be removed any time (front of the three) Just make one up. 2nd choice would be like my Bird bike which is bolt on and has some adjustments. (blurry pic)(the flat bar is for a band brake and is on the wrong side in pic)

You WILL have little room and clearance problems on the little cat so mesure things out and account for the big clutch on the shaft!

Last edited: