2012 Baja Mini - Predator 212

Hey everyone! So, I just scored myself a 2012 Baja minibike the other day, for basically nothing. It started up and ran pretty well, did good, but the engine was leaking so I went and bought myself a Predator 212 engine. It mounts to the frame pretty well, but I can’t seem to get the (clutch)? onto the shaft that comes from the engine above the chain. The chain is off currently, until I can get that worked on. Any hints/tips or general knowledge? I plan on keeping this Baja for quite a few years and putting some custom performance parts onto it in due time. Anything helps, and thank you!

Sooner79

The original engine has a 5/8” shaft. The Predator has a 3/4” shaft. You’re going to need to get a new 3/4” shaft clutch. If it were me, I’d get a torque converter instead, which you can get for under $100 on Amazon. It’ll make a huge difference in both acceleration and top speed.

The original engine has a 5/8” shaft. The Predator has a 3/4” shaft. You’re going to need to get a new 3/4” shaft clutch. If it were me, I’d get a torque converter instead, which you can get for under $100 on Amazon. It’ll make a huge difference in both acceleration and top speed.
Can you recommend any good torque converter kits? I already bought a Carburetor filter/etc. Also, just to clarify, if I buy a torque converter, do I need to also get that 3/4” shaft? Both, or just one?? It’s a dumb question, I know.

Sooner79

Any TAV30 clone will work. Here’s a good deal on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sibosen-Torq...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your Predator engine has a 3/4” shaft, and you don’t need to buy a new 3/4” clutch. The torque converter takes the place of the clutch. You will have to raise the engine about an inch. You can do that with washers or with square steel tubing. Also, you can buy kits with the risers included at OldMiniBikes.com or gopowersports.com but you’ll pay a premium for the torque converter if you buy it through one of those Places.
Go to YouTube and you’ll find tons of videos on installing torque converters on Baja’s.

Any TAV30 clone will work. Here’s a good deal on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sibosen-Torque-Converter-Predator-Replacement/dp/B08761B98M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=O8ILJWGPWUKQ&dchild=1&keywords=tav+30+torque+converter&qid=1604095049&sprefix=Tav30,aps,171&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ0kwSFhWMkw4UUc0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE5Mzg5MTRLWDRBNTlCR01QWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzEwODExMkkyRlg5MTJPS05FTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your Predator engine has a 3/4” shaft, and you don’t need to buy a new 3/4” clutch. The torque converter takes the place of the clutch. You will have to raise the engine about an inch. You can do that with washers or with square steel tubing. Also, you can buy kits with the risers included at OldMiniBikes.com or gopowersports.com but you’ll pay a premium for the torque converter if you buy it through one of those Places.
Go to YouTube and you’ll find tons of videos on installing torque converters on Baja’s.
Thank you! I just bought the Torque Converter, and it should be arriving soon. Can you quickly explain to me, as I’m a dummy between the difference, but I can see that the torque converter doesn’t take a chain, but what else does it do/not do? Any explanation will be greatly appreciated!

Sooner79

Thank you! I just bought the Torque Converter, and it should be arriving soon. Can you quickly explain to me, as I’m a dummy between the difference, but I can see that the torque converter doesn’t take a chain, but what else does it do/not do? Any explanation will be greatly appreciated!
You’ll still use the rear chain. Also, it looks like you won’t have to raise the engine on a Baja like you do on the Coleman version of the same mini bike. Watch this and find others and it will make more sense to you how it works: