212 predator question

Hi gang.. so,bim messing around getting an old mini bike up and going and I need to replace the current 212 engine with a new one. So on the shaft of the new engine, the keyway is raised, on the old unusable engine the keyway is grooved down..my question is, does that raised keyway pop off, or do I need a new clutch?
Thanks in advance
T

Doc1976

Hi gang.. so,bim messing around getting an old mini bike up and going and I need to replace the current 212 engine with a new one. So on the shaft of the new engine, the keyway is raised, on the old unusable engine the keyway is grooved down..my question is, does that raised keyway pop off, or do I need a new clutch?
Thanks in advance
T
Interesting, what motor did you get? I'm yet to see one with a raised keyway.

toomanytoys

I believe what you are seeing is the keyway that's pre-installed in the shaft. It's removable.

If you clutch has a built in key way you'll need to take it out.

I've always used side cuts to grab the key and pry down and it lifts the keyway out.

toomanytoys

If you bought it "new" from a retailer I would box it up and go exchange it for another, the key installed would indicate a returned engine possibly, who knows the history.
I've had them a few ways out of the dozen or so Predators and clones I've bought in the last several years.

Key taped. Key installed. Key in a bag. Key not there at all.