3 hp flywheel hsg. referb

got a "old" 1959 3 hp briggs and I,d like to keep it original if possible . I need to do some referb work on the flywheel housing so I was wondering if anybody has done some thing like I need to do to mine.
first, where the rope comes out of the hsg, mine has a deep rope groove worn into it, has anybody fixed this problem on there hsg. ? if so how ?

second-
the 4 tabs that hold the rope reel in are all broken off. has anybody made new tabs and installed new friction washers on there hsg. ? if so how'd you go about it ?

thanks for the info and any tips you might have/suggest
bob in tn.

oldfatguy

the groove shouldn't matter as long as there are not sharp edges that can cut the rope . I have welded some new tabs on the housing but it might be easier to use a pop rivet to hold on a small clip. then if you need to remove it you can just drill out the rivet. It will work without the plastic guides if you can't get them. The 1959 was one of my favorite years for briggs engines. I collect Toro power handle equipment and have at least a dozen1956 to 1959 briggs engines. I even have one with the very rare electric starter.

jim210

They sell plastic aftermarket tabs that snap onto the housing if you looking for a quick and easy fix. I never really liked them but they work. I would weld on new tabs if I was doing a full restoration. I think we used to get them from Rotary but every aftermarket distibutor probably carries them.

Last edited: