30 series driver weights weight ?

I seem to be having a mental malfunction. :eek: When I took apart my driver and weighed the weights (say that 3 times fast) individually, 1 weighed 144 grams the other 142. I fixed that, but, it was at that time that I assumed that I had the chinese knockoffs of the Comet 146.8 gram weights.
Did I err? Am I in error? Are the Comet driver weight ratings a total sum for each pair of weights? Do I really have chinese 284 gram driver weights?
I had previously bought the pink springs because I wanted to try a little higher stall than my current 2500 rpm chinese driver springs, based on the comet chart for the lighter weights. I knew something was fishy when the pink springs seemed to go on easier than the stock springs came off. This is my face :oops: when my stall dropped about a 1000 rpm.
Still, even if I'm wrong, my weights are still about 36 grams lighter than Comet zinc weights. I wouldn't expect the pink springs to drop stall that much. Don't know what I don't know.

I seem to be having a mental malfunction. :eek: When I took apart my driver and weighed the weights (say that 3 times fast) individually, 1 weighed 144 grams the other 142. I fixed that, but, it was at that time that I assumed that I had the chinese knockoffs of the Comet 146.8 gram weights.
Did I err? Am I in error? Are the Comet driver weight ratings a total sum for each pair of weights? Do I really have chinese 284 gram driver weights?
I had previously bought the pink springs because I wanted to try a little higher stall than my current 2500 rpm chinese driver springs, based on the comet chart for the lighter weights. I knew something was fishy when the pink springs seemed to go on easier than the stock springs came off. This is my face :oops: when my stall dropped about a 1000 rpm.
Still, even if I'm wrong, my weights are still about 36 grams lighter than Comet zinc weights. I wouldn't expect the pink springs to drop stall that much. Don't know what I don't know.
That sounds like what I experience with them. Then the next set will a different weight.

The pink springs are lighter and will drop the stall. You musta jus got a special pair, lol. They usally only drop 400-500 with the stock zinc weights.

You can clip a couple coils off a spring to get another 100-200 more. Jus take youre time and only clip 1 spring at a time.

Don't clip no more then 4 coils off, they will stretch and not come back.

I had bought an orange set also because I thought I would be able to check what was happening above and below the kung fu spring stall. That's out the window now. I guess I'll check the springs against each other and go ahead and buy the blue and white sets also.

Well I bought the blue and white spring sets. After some crude but repeatable testing on all 4 sets, I decided to throw this out here in case somebody, somewhere, might find this info even remotely entertaining, if not useful. :D

Farm Hog: 180 lbs/w rider approx. 360, 47" wheelbase, stock pred 212 non hemi, Wanda sport atv 4 ply 19x7-8 tires, chinese tav2, 8t/72t.
Stock stall 2500 rpm, 284 gram stock driver weights, stock driven spring in middle hole, Comet belt.

Test track: My front gate to 2nd telephone pole 357', 1st pole at 107', dirt/gravel road. 4-5 runs each set.
Don't have a smart phone, and no one to help so I counted. (Y'all thought I was kidding when I posted that I counted between telephone poles to see how fast I was going, admit it. :D)

Driver springs.JPG

I left the cover off so I could peek down and see what was happening and make spring changing easier.

The orange and pink sets were interesting but futile. Even when I cut 3 coils off of the pink set to raise the stall to 1700, no matter how fast I looked down after I launched, the belt had fully shifted into od and acceleration was meh.

The white set was interesting in the other direction. It was like watching things happen in slow motion. Look down belt not shifting, look up, down again start shifting, look up, down again half way there. I had that :rolleyes: will it ever finish shifting.

The blue set was oooohhhhh yyyeeeaaah. (Kind of like the 3 bears and that thief goldilocks story) Just right.
Now I don't expect to much from a stock 212 and a heavy bike, but, there was a certain expectation of acceleration I was striving for when I thumbed the throttle and I believe I have acheived that.

I did swap the stock springs back in to double check my findings. Going from 2500 to 2300 stall, outside of a little softer launch, maybe, it may be in my head, I picked up a noticeable increase in acceleration and throttle response across the board. Hard or soft launch, part throttle cruising, everywhere.

@BrownStainRacing posted about this when he was helping someone. I wish I had a screenshot of what he said. Something about when you get your tc tuned to the power to weight you're dealing with you can see/feel the mph going up faster than the rpm. It's one thing to read it and quite another to experience it. :cool:

My apologies for name dropping. :D

Well I bought the blue and white spring sets. After some crude but repeatable testing on all 4 sets, I decided to throw this out here in case somebody, somewhere, might find this info even remotely entertaining, if not useful. :D

Farm Hog: 180 lbs/w rider approx. 360, 47" wheelbase, stock pred 212 non hemi, Wanda sport atv 4 ply 19x7-8 tires, chinese tav2, 8t/72t.
Stock stall 2500 rpm, 284 gram stock driver weights, stock driven spring in middle hole, Comet belt.

Test track: My front gate to 2nd telephone pole 357', 1st pole at 107', dirt/gravel road. 4-5 runs each set.
Don't have a smart phone, and no one to help so I counted. (Y'all thought I was kidding when I posted that I counted between telephone poles to see how fast I was going, admit it. :D)

View attachment 311361

I left the cover off so I could peek down and see what was happening and make spring changing easier.

The orange and pink sets were interesting but futile. Even when I cut 3 coils off of the pink set to raise the stall to 1700, no matter how fast I looked down after I launched, the belt had fully shifted into od and acceleration was meh.

The white set was interesting in the other direction. It was like watching things happen in slow motion. Look down belt not shifting, look up, down again start shifting, look up, down again half way there. I had that :rolleyes: will it ever finish shifting.

The blue set was oooohhhhh yyyeeeaaah. (Kind of like the 3 bears and that thief goldilocks story) Just right.
Now I don't expect to much from a stock 212 and a heavy bike, but, there was a certain expectation of acceleration I was striving for when I thumbed the throttle and I believe I have acheived that.

I did swap the stock springs back in to double check my findings. Going from 2500 to 2300 stall, outside of a little softer launch, maybe, it may be in my head, I picked up a noticeable increase in acceleration and throttle response across the board. Hard or soft launch, part throttle cruising, everywhere.

@BrownStainRacing posted about this when he was helping someone. I wish I had a screenshot of what he said. Something about when you get your tc tuned to the power to weight you're dealing with you can see/feel the mph going up faster than the rpm. It's one thing to read it and quite another to experience it. :cool:

My apologies for name dropping. :D
Good job.
I love it when people actually do thier own testing. You will find out what works best for your riding style, terrain, power to weight.

What works for me and mine, might not be even close to you and yours.

I find the stock 212 works good, for me, with a 19" tire, and my 200# butt, is around 2800-3000 rpm stall.

The driven spring is usally in the middle (7" driven) or farthest hole counter clockwise (6" driven). I have long steep trails to climb here in east tn.

Another thing you can look at is, what hole is the gov spring in.
The hole farthest to the right will get to 4200-4600 max rpm. Jus watch rpm with a stock cast iron flywheel. 4200 max is what feels safe to me with a stock flywheel.

Here's where minis and karts gov spring should be set.

20230326_154135.jpg