5 hp briggs...carb help

av8er

I am new to the site here....what a great site, have gotten a lot of help from just reading. I am also new to taking apart and fixing small engines. Someone gave me a tiller (30 yrs old) with a 5 hp briggs (model 130292) on it that was sitting out in the rain for a while.

So far, have redone the points and spark plug. Getting good spark now. I had to get a new gas tank, plan on putting that on tom. The engine would start and run as long as we sprayed starting fluid in top of carb. and then die after a few seconds. I have taken the carb off, and in the process of soaking it in carb. cleaner. The longer fuel pickup line is really dirty at the bottom (from the rusty tank that I am replacing). I have a new fuel pickup line, but wondering are there any tricks to putting it on? The guy at the mower shop said it is a real pain to get that old clamp off, and put the new one on. Any advice?

Thanks for any help, and look forward to learning a lot more from the site here!

Paul

Unscrew, (or pull out) the entire pickup tube and replace the entire thing, Ive done it before,

I could scan the pages from the briggs service manual, (if i can find it) If ya want me to

av8er

This thing is a real pain. Got the old plastic one off, now just a matter of time and trying before I can get the new one on. I wish it just screwed on, that would be much easier.

GRE

if you could include some pics or send them to my email so i know which carb it is i can help you out as much as i can, I have been working on these thing for a long time, racing karts. You can even upload them to your gallery. is the problem getting in the hole, sounds like a personal problem, sorry couldnt resist, or will it not stay in. if it will not stay in you can get it in and use a center punch right next to the brass shaft to hold it in, sojunds like it wont go it.
gallini15@hotmail.com
see if this helps, http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-jet_horiz_adj.asp

Last edited:

av8er

wow, great link. thanks for that. I got the fuel line on today. I bolted everything back together tonight, so hopefully tom it will crank right up. I noticed from that link that I am missing the rivet and wire that holds the choke in place (photo 7). How big of a deal is this? will it run without this?

thanks

GRE

i am guessing that where the rivot goes you just have a flat plug (welch plug). that is ok it is only for the choke. i would go and replace the gasket that are involved, such as the diaphram and intake gasket, tank gaskets. there are many online store such as
tsracing
apskarting.com
they have some of the bike parts, but alot of engine, clutch acc.