50s mini bike maybe?

Not sure, saw it on the side of the road with a free sign on it.
Looks to be homemade, possibly a manufactured frame and fork? Engine looks to be of vintage, leaks oil like one. Wisconsin engine possibly?
Any theories, suggestions?

Attachments

Wow Merk...what a find...!

I love the gearing setup, and the look of the engine.

I believe it is a manufactured bike, but if it is home built, it is very well done.

I'm curious now too, to learn what it is.

Wow Merk...what a find...!

I love the gearing setup, and the look of the engine.

I believe it is a manufactured bike, but if it is home built, it is very well done.

I'm curious now too, to learn what it is.
Yea, im leaning towards manufactured myself, but i can tell some repairs were made on it (the brake being the most obvious)
I think at some point this thing had much bigger wheels on it, since theres 3" of clearance on all sides.
The back says "genuine crosby" on it (Crosby is a mining town about 3 hours from me)

Not sure, saw it on the side of the road with a free sign on it.
Looks to be homemade, possibly a manufactured frame and fork? Engine looks to be of vintage, leaks oil like one. Wisconsin engine possibly?
Any theories, suggestions?
I'd say by the welds and materials its definitely home made. Really cool find for sure! @SimpleTom check this out...

DaddyJohn

That thing's cool! Looking forward to hearing what it might be; what the engine is, etc.

Someone will be along directly to tell you how to swap a Predator 212 into it. :p

That thing's cool! Looking forward to hearing what it might be; what the engine is, etc.

Someone will be along directly to tell you how to swap a Predator 212 into it. :p
Yea im expecting that.
But ill see if i can get the engine running (theres a cool glass float on it, so gotta make sure i dont drop it ) it might be a 2 stroke as well! That would be extra cool.
Currently working on other projects, so this obe might take a while

UPDATE: did some digging on the motor, looked on the flywheel and its says
eisemann magneto corporation, model 71 (might be a j in there, cant quite tell)
And when i look it up it brings me to a ebay listing, depicting a very similer onan motor in a 1937 info catalog.
(I seriously doubt its from the 30s but you never know!)
And the side plate is just stamped with ti-h-664
The i could also possibly be a L, but its very faint.
Still interesting!
And the govener has been disabled, looks the the kids were going fast on this thing!

Attachments

Good sleuth work on the motor. That thing has such a cool look.

I believe I'd try to find out how to reconnect the governor, as I doubt there are billet parts in it for safety.

Until you do so, once you get it running, keep the rpm's down.

RPH

Yea, im leaning towards manufactured myself, but i can tell some repairs were made on it (the brake being the most obvious)
I think at some point this thing had much bigger wheels on it, since theres 3" of clearance on all sides.
The back says "genuine crosby" on it (Crosby is a mining town about 3 hours from me)
Nice find!
Unfortunately, Genuine crosby, I believe, is the manufacturer of the wire rope clamp.
Crosby Mn. was the home of Trail A Sled, Which became Scorpion Snowmobiles.
If your bike could have been traced to them it would have been an incredible find.
https://www.trailasled.com

Nice find!
Unfortunately, Genuine crosby, I believe, is the manufacturer of the wire rope clamp.
If your bike could have been traced to them it would have been an incredible find.
Hmm, that would be extra sweet! Time to contact american pickers, this could be the crown jewel!
Im going to try to fix the oil issue, then see if i can get it started!

pomfish

Nice find!
Thanks for the Scorpion website!
Still have a 1975 Whip 440, haven't ridden it in probably 5 years. Thing has light front end compared to the 2 1980 Arctic's that are in the barn.
Comes up easy, really a fun sled, just wish we would get a good year of snow, last 2 years were worthless.

Back to the cool minibike, I wouldn't fret over the governor thing.
Pretty sure the OP is not just going to hold it wide open and if it still runs now after the kids held it wide open, it probably can take some abuse :)
Later,
Keith