5hp flathead Briggs modifcations

I have a 80s 5hp BS that I have rebuilt. It ran great until it didn't and now it won't start. So I'm done with this shit pulsa jet carb and the rotting tank. They are both a pain to work with. What I want to do is mount a tank to the head similar to the 8hp and use a bowl carb. I know the H35 intake and carb will work, I don't know if the gas tank mount for the H35 or the 8hp will fit. I'm Also kinda lost on the linkage for the carb. This is powering a front tine tiller, yes I know it's not a mini bike, I rebuilt the engine because america first and Honda and predator can go right in the trash so please dont mention.

Hello and Welcome!
I also play with more small engines on farm equipment than I do on mini bikes.
Honestly, if you want to keep the governor working, either fixing or finding a good pulsa jet carb and tank would be the best solution.
I hate them when they don't work, too. But when they do work, they are the best I have found for good reliable yard work.
The governor linkage is connected onto the bottom mount of your fuel tank and the little arm on the side of the carb. It is possible to work around these problems and use a Tecumseh carb, but that would be pretty much up to you to create. Bolting a Tecumseh engine on it might be easier (and less hassle) than what you are asking. If any of mine get hard to start, I install one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat...7Rr3jSKIFySiNP-68lvX1xqBWTVpG4D8aAnHVEALw_wcB
I wish I could tell you an easier way to install an H35 carb, but as far as I know there is no easy way to do it. Good luck! Dave

^^^^^ What he said X2. That Briggs Pulsa Jet Carb is actually a very good carb. Pretty reliable and the only thing that really goes bad is that diaphram. I keep a couple of those kits in my stash. takes just a couple minutes to replace one..

Thepaetsguy

That Briggs Pulsa Jet Carb is actually a very good carb. Pretty reliable and the only thing that really goes bad is that diaphram. I keep a couple of those kits in my stash. takes just a couple minutes to replace one..
And he might need to true the diaphragm cover also. You can see by the shiny edges how warped this specific cover was. No one mentions the gas cap either. The cap vent NEEDS checked to make sure the tank isn’t creating a vacuum
FE625891-DEF7-441B-8A4D-5A47EA497B49.jpeg 2AE93CDF-E2AA-47FA-8DEB-4416307E3C17.jpeg

This isnt the first engines I've rebuilt. The original tank and carb placement and design sucks. They are coming off and trashed. I just need to know what parts/numbers I can use to mount a bowl adjustable carb and intake, (plz don't list chi junk merica first), and if mounting a remote tank to the head is possible and the part/#s to do so

You CAN get a tecumseh tank with the head mount. There are front and rear mounted tanks.
You will need to re-drill at least one of the head bolt holes.
Look on Ebay for a used Tec carb and manifold that will fit your block bolt pattern.
There are at least two carb bolt patterns on the 5 horse engines.
Sorry, I can't give part numbers, as I generally deal with used parts. Good luck.
Like I suggested earlier, it would be quicker and easier to get a used Tecumseh and bolt it onto your tiller.
Just my opinion, though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354213285501

Last edited:
That would be great and a remote tank plus brackets, do you know a model number or series that used the flojet/remote tank for the 5hp?

That would be great and a remote tank plus brackets, do you know a model number or series that used the flojet/remote tank for the 5hp?
My experience with the "shit Pulsa -Jet carb" (YOUR words) has been far different than what you have experienced. I've been building Briggs 3, 4, and 5HP engines using the Pulsa-Jet carb/tank combo for almost 20 years with excellent results. I have found them to be easy to service, reliable, and they perform well.
That being said, if you are determined to switch to a Flo- jet carb for a Briggs 5HP, use Model # 130432. You can use that number and go to a parts supplier like Partstree (google it) to look up your carb and tank part numbers.
Michael

Fudpucker,
Did you read any of these replies from members trying to help you? At the very least and as a courtesy to those that replied, you should at least acknowledge that.
I provided you with the information you were asking for in my previous reply.(You are welcome by the way....)
Michael

Last edited:
Some people want to sit at their keyboard and have other folks supply part numbers, send them new parts, come over and install said parts, then pull the rope for them.
I have to go and install a pump gasket in my Briggs pulsa jet powered tiller. The piece of trash is only 40 years old.