5hp springs on 8hp

can 5hp briggs valve springs fit on a 8hp briggs? both are flatheads. but what i was really trying to do is see it high performance 5hp briggs flathead springs fit on a 8hp briggs flathead?

Oldsalt

can 5hp briggs valve springs fit on a 8hp briggs? both are flatheads. but what i was really trying to do is see it high performance 5hp briggs flathead springs fit on a 8hp briggs flathead?
I have got away with putting a smaller diameter springs inside the stock springs. Measure the I.D. of your 8 HP springs and go to a hardware store and select a compression spring that fits inside. Cut them down to about the same length as the stockers and assemble them. But all that stiffer springs will do is keep the valves from floating so soon. If the rod, flywheel, piston, or some other component can't live with the added RPM some ugly things can and will happen.

Want more power cheaply? Mill the head for higher compression. More power at normal RPM will be the result.

yeah im in the process of milling the head and taking a luttle off the block just to square everything back up. i never thought of putting smaller springs inside the stockers go idea!:thumbsup: but do you think the high performance briggs and stratton site's springs will work to?