72 wards rebuild.

Hello OldMiniBikes. I'm knew to the site. My name is Jessie. Currently rebuilding a 72 wards that I got for $30. Yes $30. Been allot of fun but parts are hard to come by making it more custom by the day. Running s new predator 212 since parts and kits are plentiful. Latest battle has been wether or not to run a jack shaft (which I don't have). Is a clutch just as good or better?

IMG_2142.JPG

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! Looks like everyone missed your intro, somehow. There are members with lots of Gilson/MW/AC experience. Use the search at the top of any page to find threads. Your bike is looking good!

Yep, missed this one. Hey OP, that's exactly how I started with Gilsons. Just get it together with whatever parts you can find and look for originals during the process. I enjoy my customized Wards because of the freedom to choose whatever I think will work/look well on it.

Difference between clutch and JS is apples to oranges. The frame design won't allow for too much fiddling with direct drive. Gilson installed one clutch, two clutches or a torque converter, all working through a jack shaft.

I'd like to hear how you know it's a 1972.

Welcome aboard

Use a jack shaft. I see the original swing arm/jack shaft plates are
Already on the bike. I’ve built 3 of these. You will be very limited in
Options and space if you go straight down the left side with a chain.

All the parts you need to install a jack shaft in those stock plates are available;
Including the flanged 3/4” oil impregnated bushings for the swingarm.
These are great comfortable riders if you go with the basic original design.
You’ll get plenty of help here for your project.......I have a blue one, too!

The guy I bought it from said it was a 72. Seemed like what I saw when I searched online. Any way to truly know? I looked for any serial numbers or markings before I had it blasted, didn’t find any.

There’s a bushing for the swing arm? Lol. I thought it felt a lil loose. But I put it back together just as it was before. It hadn’t been taken apart in some time.