97cc, I love it

Was over at the daughters house for the 4th and rode my grandson's DB30 with 97cc. I gave it to him last year. He's 8 and doesn't ride it much, doesn't seem that interested in it. I like to ride it everytime I get the chance.

Engine is stock, added black clutch spring, clutch engages approx 3000 rpms, drilled a hole in the clutch cover so can oil clutch bushing, added OldMiniBikes sprocket adapter and 76 tooth sprocket, governor still installed, but governor screw turned out.

Spent time on wheel bearings, brakes to eliminate drag, chain nice and loose, keep it oiled, engine has clean 5w30 full synthetic oil, I change it often. Run 5 psi front tire, 8 psi rear, gives good ride off road.

Based upon putting a tach on it before, I think it's turning approx 5000 rprms, max mph approx 30mph. Engine acts like it will never wear out.

Son n law has DB30 with Honda GC160 I built for him that he rides around with me. I hate to say it, but I like the 97cc better than the Honda GC160, just more fun to ride for me. I am a little slower on take-off, but once we get going I hang with him fine.

I have several DB30's old and new style, have tried 6.5hp clone, 5hp Tecumseh, Honda GC160, 3.5hp Tecumseh. All good, but more power not always more fun. 5hp Tecumseh was really sweet on the street, but 97cc is best overall IMO, especially on the dirt. :thumbsup:

Wait is this a joke? Have you been on this forum b4? HAHAHAHAHAHA:laugh::laugh::laugh:
If u read anything everyone hates the 97cc. 30MPH is impractical:doah: Sorry to be mean but someone has to wake you up:doah::doah:

Well I happen to love my kids. A jack shafted 97cc is perfect for them. It runs 36 mph verified by TomTom.

I forgot to mention the throttle stop screw is also removed. The wore out 97cc that came on my clone project outlasted 2 kids from the previous owner.

You also have to realize placing an overweight adult on a bike powered for a kid isn't recommended.

Last edited:
Wait is this a joke? Have you been on this forum b4? HAHAHAHAHAHA:laugh::laugh::laugh:
If u read anything everyone hates the 97cc. 30MPH is impractical:doah: Sorry to be mean but someone has to wake you up:doah::doah:
No joke. A 97cc with the carb bugs worked out can carry a small rider along fine and it's 27mph top speed unless some bozo screws with the governor which kills the little engines but tiil then it may realize 30mph but that's tops with a small rider under perfect conditions. In other words a stock DB has the same top speed at 3600RPMs as a stock 6.5 swapped into one. Gearing and RPMs limit top speed so unless you change them a DB will only go 27mph and some change.:scooter:

As far as the engine sucking, it does but you're on a bandwagon that is worn out with the 2.8 bashing. I replaced the ones on my kid's DBs with briggs 3 and 3.5hp engines and they have twice the takeoff power and get to speed quickly. And we've had fast DBs, one was a 50+ mph machine and my 17yo son's slightly slower and he rode it like he stole it. He rarely rides now with girls, guitars and cars so I tamed his clone powered machine with a briggs.:thumbsup:

Clones are not right for everyone and some will always like the stock engines, some folks drive hopelessly screwed up cars too and it only makes sense to them. I just let em and go on.:laugh:

Last edited:
I can understand the safety factor for young lightweight riders but my stock doodlebug wouldnt even go thru heavy grass with my fatass on it so the little engine wasnt worth messing with for me.

I just swapped mine out for a g200, for a bigger guy, its so much better. The little engine worked surprisingly good for all of the bashing it gets here, but it slowed down through grass and gravel with me on it, so it had to go...

I agree with the fact that a 6.5 is not the answer for everyone. When my daughter was starting to ride I would not have wanted her to jump on one of my clone powered DB's. I kept the 2.8 in her DB and modded it with a jackshaft, carb kit, opened the muffler, a heavier clutch spring, etc, and it ran great. She could keep up with me on my clone with our weight differences considered. After a couple of years once she gained the experience we pulled the 2.8 in favor of a blue clone.

That said I'm not going to bash anyone for wanting to hop up a 2.8 for a younger rider. Bone stock they do suck, but they can be made to run pretty decent for a lighter weight rider. In fact, I'm even thinking of getting another roller to put her old jack shafted 2.8 that runs so good back in a mini for when her friends that don't have any experience wants to come over to ride with us.

IMO its not responsible to hand a modded clone powered DB over to a young or inexperienced rider.

I agree with the fact that a 6.5 is not the answer for everyone. When my daughter was starting to ride I would not have wanted her to jump on one of my clone powered DB's. I kept the 2.8 in her DB and modded it with a jackshaft, carb kit, opened the muffler, a heavier clutch spring, etc, and it ran great. She could keep up with me on my clone with our weight differences considered. After a couple of years once she gained the experience we pulled the 2.8 in favor of a blue clone.

That said I'm not going to bash anyone for wanting to hop up a 2.8 for a younger rider. Bone stock they do suck, but they can be made to run pretty decent for a lighter weight rider. In fact, I'm even thinking of getting another roller to put her old jack shafted 2.8 that runs so good back in a mini for when her friends that don't have any experience wants to come over to ride with us.

IMO its not responsible to hand a modded clone powered DB over to a young or inexperienced rider.
Well said.

No joke. A 97cc with the carb bugs worked out can carry a small rider along fine and it's 27mph top speed unless some bozo screws with the governor which kills the little engines but tiil then it may realize 30mph but that's tops with a small rider under perfect conditions. In other words a stock DB has the same top speed at 3600RPMs as a stock 6.5 swapped into one. Gearing and RPMs limit top speed so unless you change them a DB will only go 27mph and some change.:scooter:

As far as the engine sucking, it does but you're on a bandwagon that is worn out with the 2.8 bashing. I replaced the ones on my kid's DBs with briggs 3 and 3.5hp engines and they have twice the takeoff power and get to speed quickly. And we've had fast DBs, one was a 50+ mph machine and my 17yo son's slightly slower and he rode it like he stole it. He rarely rides now with girls, guitars and cars so I tamed his clone powered machine with a briggs.:thumbsup:

Clones are not right for everyone and some will always like the stock engines, some folks drive hopelessly screwed up cars too and it only makes sense to them. I just let em and go on.:laugh:
I know that the 6.5 wont be faster with the governer. Before I sent my 6.5 to AGK it revved 3600 now 6500

delray

i also have to agree that 6.5 not the answer for a kid to ride on and there is ways of getting more power out of the factory 2.5hp motor and still be safe for him or her to ride on and not costing you alot of money to do it. i had alot of fun with my doodlebug at windber with keeping up with all the 3 and 4hp bikes. alot of guys couldn't believe how fast my bike could go........:scooter: and when i wasn't riding it, some kid was riding and was still safe for them to ride.....:thumbsup:
i have the very first model and yes i am the original owner of my doodlebug and still using the stock clutch and motor that came with the bike....:thumbsup: mod's done to it. header pipe exhaust,80tt sprocket and i could turn left all day at windber lower race track...:laugh:

matt on my doodle bug. first time minibike rider and he did awesome job...:thumbsup:

Hey, finally got some relies, great.

I went out to my place yesterday and rode 97cc for hours. I have approx 1/2 mile track with 8 turns. I guess you would have to be there, but I have had the 6.5 clone out there and not as much fun as 97cc. With 6.5 clone, can only give it the gas a couple times per lap, way over powered.

97cc is very similar to racing a kart, you are on the gas most of the time, and mainly concentrate on braking and getting through the turns fast. I have my track laid out to optimize momentum. The 2 turns at either end of the track are wide sweepers, the rest are fast chicanes. One section is especially fun running counterclockwise. I go through it top speed approx 30mph right, left, right and is a blast. If you don't get it right you have to get off the gas or you are going down.

Property has some elevation changes too that really effect speed. My 1st track was just to ride the road into my property approx 1/4 mile long. It slopes down from the highway, has some berms to go over, and some easy turns. Yes, it's fairly slow going up to the entrance, but coming back down is another deal. 97cc coming down has more speed than you can use, with a 6.5 clone your not going any faster, or you will wreck.

I used to road race a kart with 28hp engine. Fastest I ever went was right at 100mph. My current road race kart tops out at 70mph. I think I know what speed feels like. I am telling you, the 97cc is fun if you know how to tune it and have it on a suitable track.

I weight 170's, so if you're much heavier, I admit 97cc is not going to work for you. I know 97cc is not for everyone, but I am having a blast with mine. :thumbsup:

i also have to agree that 6.5 not the answer for a kid to ride on and there is ways of getting more power out of the factory 2.5hp motor and still be safe for him or her to ride on and not costing you alot of money to do it. i had alot of fun with my doodlebug at windber with keeping up with all the 3 and 4hp bikes. alot of guys couldn't believe how fast my bike could go........:scooter: and when i wasn't riding it, some kid was riding and was still safe for them to ride.....:thumbsup:
i have the very first model and yes i am the original owner of my doodlebug and still using the stock clutch and motor that came with the bike....:thumbsup: mod's done to it. header pipe exhaust,80tt sprocket and i could turn left all day at windber lower race track...:laugh:

matt on my doodle bug. first time minibike rider and he did awesome job...:thumbsup:
great pics :thumbsup: :scooter: on