A big hindrance to the growth of snowmobiling

joshua. c.

in my personal opinion the biggest hindrance to the sport of snowmobiling in the united states is the registration system. every state requires a sled to be registered in there state to ride in it. and some states have trail passes to cover maintenance and some don't. its pretty much impossible to ride threw several states on a trip without registering in all of them (its not cheep) with more than 2 or 3 sleds that could be thousands. these rules are ridiculous. do you think drivers would except it if those were the rules for cars.? no it would be an outrage! snowmobiling would take leaps and bounds if these rules were abolished and a country wide trail registration and trail pass system was implemented. (one registration and trail maintenance fee to ride all states) imagine how it would expand trip possibility's and no more tickets for accidently crossing a state line. some may not use this new freedom but having the possibility would make things allot more fun for those who would. all of these states should make the rules uniform as well. I think this would be the best thing that could happen to the sport of snowmobiling. not to say there wont be issues to resolve but it would still be a giant step forwards.

Is this solely a NH/VT/ME issue? Do other states have reciprocity? I've ridden dirt bikes in several western U.S. states and all of them have accepted my Oregon off-road sticker. I wonder why snowmobiles would be any different?

joshua. c.

NH VT and ME all have separate registrations and only have one weekend a year were you can ride in all 3. without being registered in all 3, it sucks. I would assume the rest of the country is the same way. I did find a NH loophole if your sled is over 25 years old you can get a NH only one time life time antique registration. for only around 40$, both my sleds are registered for life. Vermont antique registration is available but is different, it only allows riding at special events and parades. I don't know about mass.

toomanytoys

We don't even have to register or buy a sticker for off road devices in ohio. Not sure on snow mobiles but we hardly get enough snow to own one.

mustangfrank

I haven't priced anything since 2012 when I got out of snowmobiling but never did a Canada trip because of the ridiculous trail permits. I do remember Michigan only required a trail permit for an out of state registered sled to ride here (on trail). I never did figure out what percentage of the trail permit funds actually benefitted trail grooming but the groomers and clubs would always tell you they relied on it to do their thing.