A fun 4TH of July week ride on the CHI-COM

I wanted to test out the new carburetor as well as see how far I could go on a tank of gas.
Tires were inflated to 5 PSI as a test as well. I had modified the throttle linkage to prevent any surging and allow instant response for a burst of power when needed.
The rear fender rack has not shown up yet so a hiking pack was wrapped around the seat post which worked out very well.
For several decades now I have been using Never Seize Nickle High Temp lube on the clutch bearing. I found this stuff will last for a weekend of riding with no failure of the lubricating film. It has a high cling value which really keeps the mess down while riding in the dust.
I mix up my own chain lube that I learned while in the Navy and it holds up very well.
I drove the 15 miles to Oak Flats Trails which allows two wheeled vehicles.
The trail has nice pine needle path as well as some interesting boulder fields to climb. The trail averages about 8,500 feet
Weather was nice at 75 degrees F with a 10 MPH breeze in the forest.
I ran into ( no pun intended) a Forrest Ranger who really liked the bike and we talked after my ride in the parking lot for over an hour. I was able to gather lots of info on the 75 miles of trails in this one section of the mountains.
I rode ten miles of this trail systems branches. The balloon tires really make the ride quite doable at any speed. The single "Knuckle-Head" front end spring performed very well at the adjustment I set.
The new Carburetor worked perfectly without so much as a hick-up even bouncing over some large rocks. Idle was perfect even at this high altitude.
Throttle response was dead on with no power lag. The single brake got a work out and did sing out a little when really hot. I have not gone to a different centrifugal clutch spring as yet, but may go to the Green spring to carry me over the larger boulders from a dead-stop. The clutch did get quite hot in some sections of the ride.
I took many photo's of the ride but won't bore you but with just a few to give you an idea of the trails here in New Mexico.
I built a trailer for the bikes that has tie down eye-bolts and tire troughs to keep the bikes in place while moving.
PF1A.JPG

Here is the beginning of the trail,a nice shaded ride in the pine trees with just a few rocks. We grow a nice crop of rocks in NM.
PF1.JPG
PF3.JPG
The Forrest Rangers set up challenging trails to test your skills
PF1.JPG PF3.JPG

The bike handles rocks very well
PF4.JPG
I met a fellow on a nice 45 HP motorcycle who is ahead of me about one mile.
PF5.JPG
The trail winds through trees which really makes the path fun to navigate at speed.
PF6.JPG
PF7.JPG
PF8.JPG
The bike handles the boulder fields much better than you'd think.
PF9.JPG
And the run back to the parking lot...
In all it was a fun ride of ten miles through the forest. Fuel consumption was much less than I thought it would be. I still may replace the gas tank with a real frame mounted one that holds a couple of gallons.
I hope you enjoy these few photo's of the ride. I filled up a 64 GB card!
Be safe,have fun,enjoy your bikes.