AC lighting coil headlight question

OK, so I just got a 3 amp lighting coil and lighting coil flywheel for my HS40. There are two yellow wires which I understand from the manual, are AC 12v and a green wire which is the engine kill switch. I have a 12V DC headlight and I have heard that if I ground one of the yellow wires and run the other yellow wire to the headlight as the positive, that the headlight will work, but will dim with engine RPM's. Is there any downside to this such as blown bulbs, shock or spark hazard from grounding one AC leg? I have heard that if I use a rectifier, I probably need to use it to charge a battery and make the system more complicated. If I did this, is there a problem using a small 12V DC Nicad type battery, or would a 3 amp lighting coil potentially overcharge it and cause a possible fire?

Brandt from RuppParts answered by E-mail

Brandt's answer was excellent and saved me from frying a lighting coil! Here it is reprinted:

Mark, the original lighting coils had 2 positive leads. The ground for the entire system...bike, engine, lights etc runs through the frame of the engine and bike. No ground wires come out of the lighting coil assembly.

In the molded connector you should have 2 wires side by side and 1 above them by itself

the 2 wires side by side are power wires. The wire by itself above is the kill wire.
DO NOT ground either of the 2 wires side by side in the connector or you will burn up the coils.

The lighting coils do produce AC current and the headlight and tail light will work properly on AC current. Yes I know this sounds strange but it works and that is how the engines and bikes were produced. No rectifiers were used on the Rupps. They were not needed.

the T mack kit is for electronic ignition engines only. They will fit 3-7hp small and medium frame engines.

I have no wiring harnesses but they are easy enough to make up. I am out of light switches at this time.

Attached is a wiring diagram

Remember DO NOT ground either of the 2 wires that sit side by side in the plastic connector or you will burn up the lighting coil(s).

Light coil A/c VS D/c

Howdy

I see that you know more about Lighting coils then me.
So I am going to ask some ?'s. If it OK
We to ride Minis......Honda XR 50"

This ? is relatated to a Project Bike...We have a KX 100 that we are trying to get light on. We have installed a light coil, and a refectifer, To control voltage at 14 volts. OR the A/c Voltage. The coil out put is 45 amp. We are running a 35 wt light. Dim at Idle ...at 3000 RPM Great.

My ? is ............Would love to run a battery. Battery is D/C voltage. DO you know away to run this set up??

Or ......Could we run Diod, from the battery.??:thumbsup: Tang