air compressor tank

dopowa

I have an old sears compressor that works good but the tank is rusted through. My dad has an older vaccum pump and tank from when he was milking some 20 years ago. The tank is in good shape from what I can tell, but in has a football shaped access panel about 3 x 6 inches on the side . It has a rubber gasket and 1/4 inch thick plate with 2 bolts holding in on. If I tap 4 more holes to hold the plate on, would you think it could hold 125 psi under pressure?

I have an old sears compressor that works good but the tank is rusted through. My dad has an older vaccum pump and tank from when he was milking some 20 years ago. The tank is in good shape from what I can tell, but in has a football shaped access panel about 3 x 6 inches on the side . It has a rubber gasket and 1/4 inch thick plate with 2 bolts holding in on. If I tap 4 more holes to hold the plate on, would you think it could hold 125 psi under pressure?

Please be careful, the tank you want to use was designed for negative pressure, not positive. Lost a friend 20 yrs ago to a converted propane bottle filled with air to 90 psi. Also a reminder to drain water from your air tanks as rust will weaken the base (hopefully when it blows it goes straight up).