air leak?

I bought a DB30 a while ago, and I ripped the 97cc off and swapped out the 212 because I know those motors a lot better than the 97cc. Now my goal is to get this little 97cc running. It's been sitting in my garage for a while. I found lots of problems with the carb when I first opened it up, and I ended up buying a brand new carb for it (because the other one was beyond repair). So, I stuck the new carb on, gave it some gas, and it fired up quickly. It ran well for about 4 seconds, and then it died. I started it again and it did the same thing. It does need choked when starting. If I give it gas, it does run a little longer, but then it dies quickly. It's almost like it runs out of gas, but there is plenty of gas getting there, and the carb is brand new, so no clogs. I was wondering if I might have an air leak somewhere between the carb and the block? Would these be symptoms of this problem? I may need to swap gaskets out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stock jet. I looked around to find jets for them, but I had a hard time finding them. It's a GX100 clone, right? The carb that came with it had a main jet that was drilled out huge! It also had some expandable foam sprayed in the bowl to try and seal up a leak from using the wrong plug. When I talked to the guy on the phone, I thought, "I bet I can get this thing running tip top in no time." Well, I was wrong. He had messed it up so much that I ended up scrapping it. I still have it for parts, but I don't think it'll be usable ever again. The new carb was only $10 shipped to my door, so I'm okay with spending a little to get it running. I know that everyone hates these little motors, but I think I can get it up and running. I did buy a pen vice and small bit kit to work on the main jet, but I haven't gone there yet. I think there is a thread around here that gives some tips on how to improve them. I just want to use it for my a mini for my 6 year old. The 212 preds are a little too much for him. Any tips are much appreciated!

Check the insulator between the carb and block, and the gaskets on it.

And some pics would help. Did you make sure the linkage is exactly like it was before the carb swap?

Check the insulator between the carb and block, and the gaskets on it.

And some pics would help. Did you make sure the linkage is exactly like it was before the carb swap?
The linkage is probably not like it was stock. I had to make some linkages for it. I'm not a hundred percent sure it will allow the gov to do what it needs to do, but I'll worry about that when I get it running.

I did check the insulator and gaskets. I think it's better now. I was able to get it to run and idle today. It did need to be half choked, so I'm guessing it's a little too lean on the stock jet. I'm just a little worried about boring it out since I can't find another jet for it. I'm just a little nervous that I'll make it worse. I'd only take it up one bit at a time, but I'll be :censure: if I mess it up again.

How about drilling through the plug over the slow jet? Anybody do this without messing it up?

Without the correct linkage, the governor is unable to open the throttle when it is going to die. Yes, it does that too.

Odds are you still have an air leak, just smaller.