Allis Chalmers Restoration

I have a barn fresh Allis Chalmers frame. I have a couple of questions about restoration. Is it better to leave the original paint that is somewhat rusted and scratched or repaint? Are my wheels original to the Allis Chalmers frame? Thanks

Attachments

That is a Cat wheel, with a star. MFGR'd by HPE/Muskin in Colton, CA (near LA) from 1969 to the mid seventies. Looks like it has the original tire. Clean that stuff up, and sell it, depending on condition. It's better to have things original, unless they are rusted beyond servicability. The more complete the better, but we already know that isn't the original wheel.

Post a photo of the bike and any parts, and some of the more talented experts on here will probably offer their opinion on your specific bike.

That is a Cat wheel, with a star. MFGR'd by HPE/Muskin in Colton, CA (near LA) from 1969 to the mid seventies. Looks like it has the original tire. Clean that stuff up, and sell it, depending on condition. It's better to have things original, unless they are rusted beyond servicability. The more complete the better, but we already know that isn't the original wheel.

Post a photo of the bike and any parts, and some of the more talented experts on here will probably offer their opinion on your specific bike.
Thanks for identification of the wheel.

Yes, it has the tags and serial number. I'll take some pictures next time I go over to the barn. I also have a Montgomery Ward mini bike that has wheels I believe would be correct for the Allis Chalmers.

Yes, it has the tags and serial number. I'll take some pictures next time I go over to the barn. I also have a Montgomery Ward mini bike that has wheels I believe would be correct for the Allis Chalmers.
Yep, Probably. Gilson made bikes for Allis Chalmers and Montgomery Wards.

You've got a long swing arm Allis version of the Gilson. The first wheel picture you showed is for a CAT mini bike. Gilsons used Bosch wheels. The HS50 is going to struggle with the weight of the frame (and rider). I'd look for an H50 (original) or an H60 off a snowblower. You also have a single speed bike near as I can tell. Message me with questions, if you have any as I've built 4 of them.

You've got a long swing arm Allis version of the Gilson. The first wheel picture you showed is for a CAT mini bike. Gilsons used Bosch wheels. The HS50 is going to struggle with the weight of the frame (and rider). I'd look for an H50 (original) or an H60 off a snowblower. You also have a single speed bike near as I can tell. Message me with questions, if you have any as I've built 4 of them.
Did the Allis Chalmers come with an H6? I found a running motor but if it only came with an H5, I'll keep looking for an H5.