Another chassis fab thread

Wanted to post this for others to see the jig fixtures and how things are setup to build a full frame. Hopefully this will give visual help to someone trying to fixture and square things on something they are building.

This is a frame that is going under my personal 1956 F-100.

Just a little history on the front snout. I am using a fabricated front snout that I picked up back in the late 90's. It is a Bill Funderburk design fabricated snout. Funderburk worked at H&M from the middle 60's into the 70's then went on to build chassis for his self. These are based on a 1965 Galaxie "rear steer" frame. They were the dominant chassis design until someone (Bobby Allison gets the credit in most circles) came up with the GM "front steer" chassis. The rear steers down fall was that it picked up a push as the race progressed. You had to set them up with a lot of static toe in so that they wouldn't toe out later in the race. When the front steer cars didn't develop a push later in the race they were the cure to that ill handling problem.

I am building this to a Road Race chassis spec so that it will be a good street setup. The road race setups were equal right and left. The left turn chassis is skewed to turn left the best. I had to search for about 3 months to find a 9'' rear end housing that didn't have any camber in the tubes. Steve, the school instructor, had almost all of the front end components. Big brakes with 6 piston calipers, A-arms and steering that included a 16 to 1 Sweet Mfg power steering steering box. Would have liked for it to have been a 14 to 1 but the price was right.

After a lengthy conversation with my friend Brent Vandervort, owner of Fatman Fabrications, I purchased 2'' x 6'' x 3/16'' tubing for the main rails. The factory Ford truck spec is 34'' outside to outside of the rails. First we centered and squared the front clip to the jig table. Then I cut and laid out the main rails. The right rail lined up with the right rail on the clip like it was meant to be that way. The left rail on the front clip is offset 2 inches outboard to increase header clearance. So the left main rail outside surface lined up with the left rail on the clip's inside surface. I cut a piece of 4'' x 6'' 3/16'' plate and made a flange that both rails could weld to. Then I added a 10'' x 6'' x 3/16'' plate to the outside to make a nice strong transition. The inside was a different story. I had a short area to work in and had to clear the steering box mounting tabs. So it is a oddly shaped piece that I had to bend in the press break. I used every available inch of surface to make as good of a transitional tie in as possible. I then plated the top with a piece of 1/8'' to tie all the pieces together.

This will be an ongoing project for me so this thread will get updated periodically.

In the pics the rails are squared to the table and are welded to the crossmember uprights so that they don't move around. The front clip is welded to the crossmembers as well. I made a rear crossmember with upright saddles for the rearend housing to sit in. On one end I drilled a single hole to bolt it down to the table. On the other end I slotted the hole about 1 inch long so that it could be swung forward or back to square it to the frame and front clip. The wheelbase is set at 115'' which is 5 inches longer than stock. The rear wheels are in the stock location but the front wheels are pushed forward 5''. I will have to cut the wheel opening out of the front fenders and move it forward 4'' to center the tire in the opening. The factory setup has the tires 1'' behind the center of the fender opening... This drastically improves the look of the fat fendered Effies. The leading part of the front fenders is larger than the trailing part. By moving the opening forward you reverse this front heaviness giving it a look of forward motion just sitting still.

Here are some pics of the progress.

Humble beginnings

Starting

Squared and tabbed to the table.

Main rails laid out and lined up

Main rails welded to the crossmember uprights and front clip. This shows the offset in the steering box area

Last edited:
How I brought the rail offset together

Right rail from the top

What it takes to fix the front fender openings

This truck also has the hood pie cut which I don't care for. It makes the profile kind of drool off the nose....

Last edited:
Very nice how you tied those rails together, very beefy with the gussets great job!
And nice truck
Thankyou sir. Not my truck though. I wish I was that far along. Just an internet pic to demonstrate the moving of the wheel opening. My truck is still all together.

This chassis was going to be done before my truck came apart but I am thinking that I will build a second truck with the spare 1956 cab I bought about 15 years ago. All the rest of the parts are available repopped. My complete 1956 truck is a 1 owner V-8 automatic Custom Cab that I find harder and harder to change it to far from a period hot rodded truck of the 60's. Meaning a 312 Y-block instead of the 272 and lower it with steel wheels and wide whites while retaining the straight axle.

Thought I would post an update on the chassis. Not as far along as I would like but it is coming along nicely. I have been busy making parts and fixtures. Fitting parts, modifying parts and welding pieces as they are ready.

I started by drawing the frame rail kick up out on the table to make sure that I had enough clearance over the axle. Then made a paper pattern of the kick up. Spent more time than I wanted making a fixture to cut the kick ups. But it was worth the effort to have the repeatability for both sides. Got those cut and spent some time making sure they were both in the same plain front to rear and right to left. Got them clamped, lined up, double checked and then tacked it all in place. Welded them to the main rails and moved on to the cross member for the truck arm mounts. The crossmember was a snap but the 4 brackets that I had to make were time consuming... 2 brackets are straight forward with just 2 bolt holes each so that I can raise the front of the truck arms an additional inch if I lower the truck lower than the ride height that I am building at. It is currently set at 5 inches of ground clearance at the running boards and they will be 1 1/2'' higher than stock at that point... The other 2 brackets have been a challenge to get done. They have the dual height holes but they are slotted with an eccentric to adjust the wheelbase if needed. There is a full inch of adjustment available. They are initially set up with the bolt at the center of the adjustment.

Here are some pics

Last edited:
A few more of the progress.

The Plasma I have been using at school. Its a little thing...

More frame pics

The truck arm brackets

Fitted to the crossmember and ready for welding

The fixed side

The adjustable side

Got the 2 inner truck arm brackets finished and welded on. Turned out good I think. Spent some time figuring the dimensions of the rear part of the frame. Going to build a fuel cell can and the surrounding frame next. Then fixture it in place to locate the rear part of the rails. That way I can build the drop from the over axle rail down to the rear rails to fill in the last piece. Then on to the Panhard bar bracket. Then some X braces and some triangulation bracing to stiffen it up a bit. Also need to bend 2 - 7 or 8 inch pieces of C channel to weld on the very rear of the frame for bumper arm mounting and the rear bed mount. Will need to do the same on the front too.

Getting closer...

Truck arm brackets

The rivet locks the eccentric to the bracket in the center of the slot so that the other side will be in the center also. The bolt has a flat spot that fits the flat spot in the washer so they index together.

More frame rail progress

Last edited:
This is the last update that I can make while I am still in school. Well I am not in school any longer as the fall semester starts Monday.

But I can work on it further on Fridays only as there are no classes on Fridays. The catch is that it is only a half day... I really want to finish up the welding before it comes off the jig table. So progress will be slow with only a half day every week but I think I can do what I need in 5 or 6 Fridays.

The chassis is fully welded but there is no cross bracing, fish plates or crossmembers yet. I can fabricate most of these things at home and then it will be a quick install when I get there. So this should speed up progress for me. I plan to fab everything except the trans crossmember and the engine mounts with it on the table. When it gets home I can mount the cab and then locate the engine and trans as far rearward as possible. Then onto exhaust fabrication and about 500 other things to get it on the road.

Here are some pics of where it is currently at.

I built a NASCAR style fuel cell can for the rear of the chassis for a couple of reasons. I wanted to enclose the fuel cell and I wanted the "look" of the Cup Car chassis. I started this on Monday morning and the sheet metal insert got me. I had just sheared it and bent the uprights. I was moving it on the table and it slipped... Gotcha! It layed my left thumb open and I have had to work 1 1/2 handed all week... Had to try to keep plugging along to the end.

After getting the rear section fixtured in place I needed to build a right side panhard bar bracket. The bracket is 3/4 plate. It needs to be inserted into the right rail. I notched the bottom of the rail and drilled a 1/2'' hole in the top for a good solid plug weld. Angled it slightly so that the heim joint would line up straight. Welded it in and then added the right side rail. It is fully captured this way. Built a side brace for it and added some ornamental lightening holes. Still need to add the cross brace. This is the one that controls the actual load created by the panhard bar. That will be the first thing next Friday.

The entire chassis is now fully welded. Felt like I had finally gotten it together.

Here are several shots from various angles. The old dirty frame sitting on my industrial strength "saw horses" (for lack of a better name) is an extra 56 F-100 chassis that I am using as the "go by" to get my measurements right. Both chassis are actually lined up at the rear axle center line. These shots also show how much higher the suspension is in relation to the original. The shot from the front is just a good overall shot I thought. You can also see that the truck has been named.... "Winston" This came about because of the fact that when the wife and I enjoyed and actually watched NASCAR racing it was "The Winston Cup". This is the only vehicle that I have ever owned that actually got a name....

In the second pic you can see the green 1/4'' masking tape along the side of the jig table. That is ground. The bottom of the rails are fixtured at 8'' above ground. The rails are 4'' above the table and the tape line is 4'' below the table. The tires are 27'' tall 295/50X15's. I did this so that I could run cup car wheels. The spindles were and the rear axle is fixtured at 13 1/2'' from ground.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like much progress but I got quit a bit done in the 3 1/2 hours I was there.

I fitted the Panhard bar brace and got it welded in. What a pain... The rearend was in the way but I couldn't move it since everything is welded to the table... Got it done with a lot of struggle but its done. Made all the patterns for the plates to weld over the frame rail joints for added strength. I can cut those out at home and not waste the limited amount of time I have at school. Then I can get them installed next Friday. Brought home a piece of 1 3/4'' DOM to make the threaded frame portion of the rear jack screws.... Lathe time.

Slowly but surely...

Doug

Last edited:
Single point threading time? Nice! Thanks for the update.
Steve
Uhhhh……. No. :no:

Bore it to 1.0469 and tap it 1 1/8'' x12. Bore it 1.200 beyond the threads for jack screw clearance. Total length is 4.250'' with 1.5'' of that threaded. Had to order a new boring bar. Should be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
Time for the Friday update.....

Loaded up my new shocks, cab mount bushings, suspension bump stops and the piece parts that I had cut out during the week this morning so that I could get busy as soon as I got to school this morning. I had cut 2 cab mounts out of a piece of 3'' x 5'' x 3/16'' rectangle tubing. Then as I was getting in the truck I thought that I better take a piece of 3'' x 6'' x 1/4'' tubing in case I didn't like the smaller pieces for the cab mounts. I had a 10' stick and drug it over to the band saw.... Set one end up on the feed table and let go only to watch it slide off the feed table and head for my feet... I started dodging the bouncing tubing but couldn't keep both feet off the floor at the same time. Sooooo… it connected with the big toe on my left foot. No school today. Thank goodness this was the wife's regular Friday off. AND on top of this, adding insult to injury, I had injured my right foot yesterday morning taking the dogs out early with only the moon light... Now I am helpless. So the big toe is all black and blue and throbbing and hurting and throbbing and hurting... Its bad enough that I am taking Oxycodone left over from my knee surgery. Its ugly too.

No fun for me. Hopefully it will be better by next Friday so that I can get something done. Its comical to try and walk. I have to walk on the inside of my right foot and the outside of my left foot. Wobble, wobble, wobble...

And I have a little project that I have been trying to start for 2 weeks now and it is still not going to happen for at least another week. I will post it too, when I get started.

And life goes on...

Doug

Just looked up the weight of the rectangle tubing. 13.61 pounds a foot. So times 10' is 136.10 pounds. Ouch.

Friday update.

Got all the fish plates ready to weld. Just have to mark the weld areas on the frame and prep them.

Got the shock travel and crossmember design decided. Going to make a H&M style crossmember for the upper shock mounting points. Should be quick and simple and look good too. Most likely wont install a bed floor but instead make a one piece bed cover out of aluminum sheet. Just have to wait and see.

Bought a set of bed sides this week. Took them to school and test fit them to the chassis. Looks like raising the bed 2'' as I had been planning will be just right.

Also decided to run 10'' tall rear coil springs as the original plan to run 8'' coils really limited me to a very minimal selection. Lots of 10'', 10 1/4'' and 10 1/2'' springs and spring rates to choose from.

There was a big faculty meeting today so I had to head out early. Didn't make a full morning this time. Next Friday should be a productive day. Weld the fish plates, fab the rear shock mounts and weld on the forward cab mounts.

The toe is looking bad but feeling better... Walking pretty good now. Gonna loose the nail....

Last edited:
That sucks about your toe Doug!! I did something similar about 4 years ago and it hurt like hell and it was like I had to learn how to walk all over again. Awesome work on your chassis also:thumbsup:

Its been 2 weeks but I got to work on the chassis today. Didn't get near as much done as I had hoped but that always seems to be the way.

I laid out the fishplates and ground the mating areas clean for a good flat fit and a good weld. Then got them tacked in place. Got 10 on but still have 4 more to fit on the inside of the front uprights. Then it will be weldem up time. Slow but at least its progress. Once these are welded then I will fab the upper rear shock mount crossmember and the X brace over the rear end. Bending tubing and coping joints...

Last edited: