Another Project

Well, if you read through my Fox build then this bike shouldn't come as much surprise. Anyway, it's getting far enough along to start getting its own thread. This...thing...was a project bike my Dad and I bought a good 20ish years ago that didn't happen. Well, it's happening now. This is, near as I can put together, a ScatCat frame with Gilson wheels, Northern Tool forks, and Schwinn handlebarfs. I got a predator when they were on sale for $100 and decided it would end up in this bike.

Anyway, as it currently stands the following has happened with it. I got a thumb throttle for it instead of a twist throttle. Just wanted to try something different with this one. Tossed on a springer seat I got off amazon for $50ish. Put a kill switch on in a decent location. The engine switch is still on the blower cover, just not connected anymore. I also cut off the oil sensor while I was there. Got some adjustable kickstand that needs adjusting and put on some fancy-ish bicycle handles. The last thing thus far is the license plate holder setup similar to the Fox because I'm insane and intend to get it fully lit. No alternator though, not really even anywhere to put one on this frame.

The predator got an intake kit and adjustable stock carb with upsized jets. Put a cheapo TAV30 on it as I want to see how different a TAV behaves. This also required lifting the engine which I did with some 1x1 mild steel stock because why pay for a fancy engine riser for this monstrosity? Then, because the stock exhaust doesn't fit in it's standard orientation, I hacked up the exhaust to shorten it about 1" and turned the box 180* and welded it back together. It sort of just barely touches the top frame rail like this. With the 1x1 tubes raising the engine the TAV has about 3/32" clearance to the bottom frame rail so the plastic cover is going to need some serious hacking done to it.

I haven't yet decided if I want to repaint this thing but I'm currently leaning towards leaving it as is. The rear rim is fine but leaves literally no room to figure out where to add a brake. The front wheel was butchered at some point and wobbles. Eventually I'm going to get both changed out since the bike would work better with slimmer profile tires like a 2.5-10". Get some white walls for it too I think when I switch out to 10" rims. Going to need to build a support for the front of the springer seat, going to use some of the leftover 1x1 tubing for that. Then, until I decide on a gas tank, I'll strap the predator tank to the frame. Still deciding if I use an actual metal strap or go full goblin mode and just ratchet strap it down. The last bit is the foot pegs. The current location for them on the frame doesn't work, at all. I've got a couple plates made for the pegs I have that I'm going to weld to the down tubes on the frame. This will comfortably put my legs forward of the engine and away from spinning things and/or hot things.

There will be future updates on this thing, just may be a while between them as it's sort of a side project compared to the Fox and now the RTS 340. As well as those 4 engines in the background, 2 of which will end up on bikes my Dad is restoring.

2023-09-17.jpg

Minor update on the build. I ended up strapping the stock tank to the top rails of the bike and ran the engine for its break-in. The exhaust did not fall off during this time, so that's good. My idea for the foot pegs requires some rethinking it seems, I'll get something figured out. Finally, the rear sprocket is apparently worn down to the point it won't work as a 420 chain no longer lines up on it. I checked the sprocket and it's stamped as 40A54A so it should have worked, it's just worn to the point it can't anymore. This means the project is likely going to sit until I can get the 10" rims and tires I was going to wait on for a while to get. This also means I will be putting a universal split sprocket on like the Fox has and with the narrower tires will be able to put hydraulics on. Took a few days to get all this done since with Covid I tend to get exhausted after about an hour of activity.

Just a note on this. The Gilson wheels, tubes and new tire are gone to a new home. The person that bought them is well aware of the condition the front wheel is in. I am just happy that at least 1 of them will find a bike to move on to.

Well, if you read through my Fox build then this bike shouldn't come as much surprise. Anyway, it's getting far enough along to start getting its own thread. This...thing...was a project bike my Dad and I bought a good 20ish years ago that didn't happen. Well, it's happening now. This is, near as I can put together, a ScatCat frame with Gilson wheels, Northern Tool forks, and Schwinn handlebarfs. I got a predator when they were on sale for $100 and decided it would end up in this bike.

Anyway, as it currently stands the following has happened with it. I got a thumb throttle for it instead of a twist throttle. Just wanted to try something different with this one. Tossed on a springer seat I got off amazon for $50ish. Put a kill switch on in a decent location. The engine switch is still on the blower cover, just not connected anymore. I also cut off the oil sensor while I was there. Got some adjustable kickstand that needs adjusting and put on some fancy-ish bicycle handles. The last thing thus far is the license plate holder setup similar to the Fox because I'm insane and intend to get it fully lit. No alternator though, not really even anywhere to put one on this frame.

The predator got an intake kit and adjustable stock carb with upsized jets. Put a cheapo TAV30 on it as I want to see how different a TAV behaves. This also required lifting the engine which I did with some 1x1 mild steel stock because why pay for a fancy engine riser for this monstrosity? Then, because the stock exhaust doesn't fit in it's standard orientation, I hacked up the exhaust to shorten it about 1" and turned the box 180* and welded it back together in monopolygoapk. It sort of just barely touches the top frame rail like this. With the 1x1 tubes raising the engine the TAV has about 3/32" clearance to the bottom frame rail so the plastic cover is going to need some serious hacking done to it.

I haven't yet decided if I want to repaint this thing but I'm currently leaning towards leaving it as is. The rear rim is fine but leaves literally no room to figure out where to add a brake. The front wheel was butchered at some point and wobbles. Eventually I'm going to get both changed out since the bike would work better with slimmer profile tires like a 2.5-10". Get some white walls for it too I think when I switch out to 10" rims. Going to need to build a support for the front of the springer seat, going to use some of the leftover 1x1 tubing for that. Then, until I decide on a gas tank, I'll strap the predator tank to the frame. Still deciding if I use an actual metal strap or go full goblin mode and just ratchet strap it down. The last bit is the foot pegs. The current location for them on the frame doesn't work, at all. I've got a couple plates made for the pegs I have that I'm going to weld to the down tubes on the frame. This will comfortably put my legs forward of the engine and away from spinning things and/or hot things.

There will be future updates on this thing, just may be a while between them as it's sort of a side project compared to the Fox and now the RTS 340. As well as those 4 engines in the background, 2 of which will end up on bikes my Dad is restoring.

View attachment 305957
Wow, your bike project is truly a labor of love and a testament to your creativity and ingenuity! The way you've transformed the ScatCat frame with Gilson wheels, Northern Tool forks, and Schwinn handlebars, and then added the powerful predator engine is absolutely fascinating. Your attention to detail, from the thumb throttle to the springer seat and the license plate holder setup, showcases your dedication to customization. It's remarkable how you've tackled various challenges, like modifying the exhaust and raising the engine with your own homemade solution. Your passion for bikes shines through in every paragraph, and I can't wait to see what other updates and modifications you have in store. Keep up the excellent work and keep us posted on your future projects. You truly have a talent for turning ordinary bikes into extraordinary works of art!

Triley41395

Wow, your bike project is truly a labor of love and a testament to your creativity and ingenuity! The way you've transformed the ScatCat frame with Gilson wheels, Northern Tool forks, and Schwinn handlebars, and then added the powerful predator engine is absolutely fascinating. Your attention to detail, from the thumb throttle to the springer seat and the license plate holder setup, showcases your dedication to customization. It's remarkable how you've tackled various challenges, like modifying the exhaust and raising the engine with your own homemade solution. Your passion for bikes shines through in every paragraph, and I can't wait to see what other updates and modifications you have in store. Keep up the excellent work and keep us posted on your future projects. You truly have a talent for turning ordinary bikes into extraordinary works of art!
This spammer has crap in his post, please delete this user and my post after the spammer is gone.

Hello and Merry Christmas. Been a while as I've been working and getting my garage insulated. Anyway, I've been getting some parts together for this to get it moving on its own. I picked up a pair of 10" rims off OldMiniBikes and put some Kenda 329's on them. Lastly I picked up a universal sprocket for it. Anyway, that's all I got on this project. Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the pics.

2023-12-25 Sprocket.jpg 2023-12-25.jpg

Minor update. I've torn down the predator for it to give a mild ungoverned build. At this point it's a bare block waiting for new parts to go in. The temp dropped and it started snowing so I went back in when my toes started going numb. I didn't get a crank lock while I was buying parts so I just sort of jammed a 2x4 between the counterweight and top of the crankcase with the side cover off to stop it turning while getting the nut off the flywheel side. I do have a set of pullers and the 8" puller worked to get the flywheel off. I'll get it reassembled with the parts I got for it next week. I'll do some port work to clean them up and polish the exhaust port for flow.

Parts list:
ARC +20 rod
EC carbs TTS 265 cam
RPQ Hemi flywheel (comes with 28* advance)
Fire ring head gasket
26lb valve springs (Hemi specific so no spring relief cuts)
Pulse fitting for the fuel pump (I'll drill and tap the valve cover for this)
Throttle top plate w/ fuel pump for ungoverned motors
Studs for side cover and head
Holy Dover unrestricted class stock style carb
Straight pipe w/ RLV silencer

2024-02-14 Engine disassemble.jpg 2024-02-14 Parts.jpg

Side note, a while back I got the lights and horn all bought for it as well. This includes hi/lo headlight, brake light, signals, plate lights, horn and attendant electrical peripherals. Wiring will likely have to wait till the weather starts getting 60+ again, much like finishing up the wiring on the street scamp. I also have to put together a wiring diagram for it sometime between then and now.

2024-02-14 Lights.jpg